Trying to get data off a dead hard drive on my laptop w my working HD

halomaster56

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
my hard drive on my laptop seemed to crash. So i took my WORKING hard drive out of my desktop and figured i could load windows and get all of the data off the other hard drive hopefully, and even error check it and get it working, but the hard drive that i know for a fact works will get to the end of loading and will not start the OS. any tips on where to look, its gotta be something in the laptop

I pretty tech savvy most days so i dont want to take it somewhere, to find out what i know already
and its an old ide 2.5 hard drive so my usb hard drive kit wont even work with it cause it doesnt get enough power go figure

wleigh

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Taking a hard drive from a computer configured differently and trying to just drop it in another computer is not as easy as it seems. Think of all the driver and bios differences from one machine to the next.

If you old hard drive failed, you may not have much luck. About the only advice I can give you is what you already know -to buy a specific 2.5" external that will work on that old IDE HD, and even then it will probably be bad news.

Good luck.