HDMI cabling and audio cutout.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Hi,
I’ve got an HDMI annoyance that I’m hoping someone can help me with. I recently changed to an ALL HDMI setup (previously I was running component, and optical s/pdif from the DVD to receiver, and then component on to the TV for DVDs only. Blu-ray was HDMI only)

I am running a Pioneer DVD player into an Onkyo TX-SR805 and then on to a Samsung FP-T5084. All three devices are connected using HDMI.
If I turn on the receiver and the DVD player and try to play an audio cd, the sound plays for about 3 seconds, then cuts out, plays for three seconds and cuts out and so on. If I turn the TV on and off again, normal sound is restored. If I turn everything off, disconnect the HDMI cable between the receiver and the TV, the CD audio works fine.

If I try the same procedure on the blu-ray player, I get no sound at all until I turn the tv on and back off.

The receiver is not set to pass through HDMI audio. Part of going to pure HDMI was to simplify cabling, I really don’t want to go back to adding TOSLINK cables at this point.
Thanks,
J

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I have the 805 and it's a pain to deal with, the receiver has a great amp section but the software leaves much to be desired.

You could always pick up a blu ray player at a local best buy and see if the problem can be replicated so you will know if its the receiver or your components.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
I have the weirdness with both the DVD player and the blu-ray player. So not sure if it's the components.

For now, I've added an optical cable from the DVD to receiver, and mapped that input to CD, so if I'm just listening to audio, I can select this and avoid the HDMI completely.

For the record, I really hate HDMI, this is the latest in a long string of ridiculous handshake issues I've experienced with HDMI.