Recommendation for a 2.0 speaker set?

Friendly Freddy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Hello,
I just fried my second set of Klipsch Promedia 2.0's in five years. Great sounding speakers, but shoddy connections and wiring. I don't want to go the 2.1 route because I need to remain on good terms with the couple living below me. I have been looking at the Creative GigaWorks T40 and T20 2.0's, but I'd welcome any recommendations.

Solution
the klipsch 2.1 promedia speakers have an exceptionally low failure rate.
i dont think i have ever seen a 2.1 amp broken on ebay.
usually the subwoofer doesnt have the amp.
or the amp works and is being sold seperately.

i actually had the 2.1 amplifier powering a jl audio 12w7
it wasnt the loudest thing.. but it did add some volume to the other two 12's in the main speakers.

i decided to ditch it because the amp only provided output at higher frequencies like 30hz - 40hz where i didnt need it.
i was looking for 10hz - 20hz and dont have any way to set the crossover low enough.

anyways.. the amp didnt get hot or complain one bit with the 3ohm subwoofer.
three way speakers always have the potential to sound better than a two way...

Bursuc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
I have recently purchased the Microlab Solo 5C speakers and i love them. The quality of sound is great and i think they are the perfect speakers for a small room.

Friendly Freddy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010

That looks like a neat little speaker. Don't here much about them. In reading one review, it sounded like they might require a special power adaptor for use here in the States.

Friendly Freddy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
When it came right down to it, I just couldn't find a set of 2.0 computer speakers that could stand up to a decent 2.1 set with a sub-woofer. I decided that I would take a third go-around with Klipsch Promedias --- this time the 2.1's. Hopefully, Klipsch has improved their quality control on wiring and connections over the past five years. I guess I will find out.

mystifiedu

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I have a 2.1 system --Swan M 200's , active ,excellent speaker system ,have them hooked up to my computer and find them excellent for listening to my music collection that I have filed on my computer

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
the klipsch 2.1 promedia speakers have an exceptionally low failure rate.
i dont think i have ever seen a 2.1 amp broken on ebay.
usually the subwoofer doesnt have the amp.
or the amp works and is being sold seperately.

i actually had the 2.1 amplifier powering a jl audio 12w7
it wasnt the loudest thing.. but it did add some volume to the other two 12's in the main speakers.

i decided to ditch it because the amp only provided output at higher frequencies like 30hz - 40hz where i didnt need it.
i was looking for 10hz - 20hz and dont have any way to set the crossover low enough.

anyways.. the amp didnt get hot or complain one bit with the 3ohm subwoofer.
three way speakers always have the potential to sound better than a two way system.

if you want bass that isnt going to make your neighbors complain.. you really need to go with smaller cones.
you would be amazed at what a 4 inch speaker can do in a properly ported box.
and not one of the many many ported boxes tuned to 40hz.
that is a consumer tune and not a real hi-fi design.

you can get output down to 30hz with a speaker of 4 inches.
but i wouldnt suggest having any fans blowing if you want to hear it all.

i had two 6.5 inch drivers in a bass reflex box tuned to 40hz in the back of my mothers hatchback and they pounded hard enough to make the rearview mirror vibrate.

i thought the promedia 2.1's sounded better than the promedia ultra 5.1 system.
the midranges in the 2.1's sound beefier compared to the tin sound the ultra 5.1's had.

Solution

Friendly Freddy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Thank you all for your advice. So far, I have been very pleased with the Klipsch Promedia 2.1s. Although, to be honest, I seldom move either the sub-woofer or the total volume above the 10 o'clock position. For such tiny knobs, they are quite sensitive. You can really tell a big difference between say, 9:30 and 10:00.

As for the test of time, I am hoping that they will outlast both pairs of Promedia 2.0's with none of the tuning static. These don't seem to have that problem. Regarding durability, I guess, time will tell. Thanks. FF