Creating my first home audio system

Clayman22

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I so far have decided on the Denon AVR-591 as a receiver

L_AVR-591_back.png

L_AVR-591_black.png

However, I am very willing to consider other opinions regarding this.

As for speakers I was initially considering these boston acoustic 5.1 surround speakers as they were offered in a package deal with either the denon mentioned above or a yamaha receiver of which I do not know the name

41Kg%2BFt%2Bj7L._AA1000_.jpg

I listened to them at bestbuy however I was not impressed in the least. It may have been that the speakers were not oriented in anyway other than stacked and plugged on a shelf and playing fm radio. I tried another store at which the system was set up in a somewhat proper orientation however this time using a yamaha receiver. The sound was definitely improved however I was still not impressed, but again this could have been because of either the receiver or the time taken to set up the system i do not know hence my hesitation to purchase.
My next thought was to build my own system starting with a pair of book shelve speakers then adding a base, and finally when it is summer and I am working full time again rear and center speakers.

I was considering either Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 book shelf speakers or Pioneer SP-BS21 book shlef speakers.
If I do pioneer speakers I will eventually get a pair of floor speakers for front L&R so basically slowly build this system

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/ci.SP-PK51FS.Kuro

I am completely willing to abandon every part of my current plan if the set up would not be worth the money.

I do not have very much funds to set aside so I am not going to for top of the line just a system that would sound nice while watching movies or listening to music.

I would prefer the speakers being at least good enough to out last the receiver as far as pieces needing to be upgraded down the line.

Current expectation is that the sound will be as Clear as my Vox valvetronix amp for my guitar and not exceeding $1500 total for speakers and receiver.

I really appreciate any advice that can be given. I am new to this market and am not sure yet what is worth looking into.

If I can provide anymore information that may be of some help in helping me please ask.

Also the area the system would be in at the moment is about 12 by 15.

Clayman22

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

Alright well the room is around 15 ft. by 12 ft. not sure about the ceiling height but I would guess 10 Ft.

I was thinking pioneer because they started at about $90 for a pair of speakers. I realize this is not top end, but I was hoping that it would be at least highish in the entry level.
As for a dollar amount on budget I would say no more than $200 a speaker.

Receiver I was looking to spend under $500

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
teh denon amp could deserve some better speakers. even denon bookshelves will be better then the boston acoustics, if u can spend a little more then denon bookshelves per channel, check KEF and mordaunt shorts.

Clayman22

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

So, no on the wharfedale diamond 10.1 pair as well?

Clayman22

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

Ok well would you suggest a pair of mordaunt-short Axiano 1XRs or KEF C1s over the wharfedale 10.1s

I have been reading many forums and resources of that nature, and have found that perhaps a curved enclosure is better over a standard box enclosure. How much of a difference does this actually make?

Clayman22

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I went to the avsforum posted above and found this discussion:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1278774&page=2

I am quite confused now has to how these speakers actually match up to other speakers now. It seems that every other brand I have looked at has had their entry level at around $249 a pair which is fine the building of my system would just take longer, but how much of a difference could I expect. I will be starting with 2.1 and building up to 5.1. Movies and music are my biggest concerns.

Another thing, is it recommended to match brands and series when adding the sub woofer? Currently do not believe this to be the case however I know nothing aside from whether or not the sound is rubbish to my ears or if the placement is bad.

Again I thank everyone for their continued help

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Clayman22

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

If I found a pair that seemed priced right for the sound then I would definitely consider.