Alienware Overpriced?

BeefBravo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I just compaired an Asus G51JX-X1 to a similarly configured Alienware M15X and the Alienware comes in at $600.00 more! Is there any good reason for this or are you just paying for the name?

I wonder if Alienware price matches..lol

Solution
Yes, for the most part, I have noticed that Alienware's are severely overpriced in most instances, i.e. like you said, you are just paying for the name.

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Alienware makes the best gaming laptops, as in their looks, their design, and there software. I would say 100 dollars for their name, 100 dollars for design, and that’s pretty much it. I guess the Asus is a better, more reliable laptop, while still being cheaper.

Can't say I agree. I would take a Clevo/Sager built laptop over an Alienware for performance and looks just about any day of the week.

But yes, IMO, Alienware is very overpriced.

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Read on, lostandwandering, I stated the Asus is a much better buy :D

If I was rich, I would most definitely replace all my laptops for an Alienware and Macbook Pro. Because, well, I have the money. For the best Buy, Asus, Sony, Sager, Toshiba, and Lenovo is the way.

neckbone123

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Don't even look at the asus g51jx-xi I believe that might be the one that was discontinued due to bsod. I believe they are coming out with another to replace it which I think is ag51jh-a1,however alienware makes a great laptop ,definitly overpriced but compared to falcon northwest laptop not so bad.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
What is overpriced?

Apple? For some like me yes, for my dad and sister, no.

Alienware? Depends on if you like their design and prefer their support (which I have found to be better than typical DELL).

I like many of the Alienware designs, and I have recommended some of their desktop build for friends who want a little above the norm and want a brand name and not DIY.

For a laptop, I prefer a few other makers because of the options I look for, but if Alienware made a sweeter 17" I might consider it cause their M17 doesn't offer an MHD5 series yet. They also cripple their Studio 17s now too to make the ALienware look better.

Although I'd still prefer a return to VooDoo's roots between the two as they did a better job of putting together top features, and they used to have fantastic support prior to HP.

Currently though I prefer Eurocom for 17", although by the time I buy there'll likely be more options.

Essentially Alienware is a niche/boutique brand, it's not about band for your buck but niceties that some people might prefer over value.