HP Envy 15 or Lenovo Thinkpad W510

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I currently have an HP Envy 15, and my 21-day return period is up next week. I am "satisfied" with the Envy, with the exception of terrible battery life. On the stock 6-cell battery I get about 1.5 hours while in a power conservative mode (half brightness, etc. etc.). With the optional slice battery, which makes the laptop weigh over 7 pounds, I get to about 3.5 - 4 hours. Also, while on battery mode, the i7 720QM throttles down to 900 MHz. Therefore, my options are still open. I noticed today that the new Lenovo Thinkpad W510 also has the similar features (including USB 3.0 ports). While I would sacrifice graphics slightly (ATI 5830 vs. Nvidia Quadro 880M), I would gain lower weight and a 9-cell with the same battery life. I'd like to get people's recommendations of keeping the Envy 15 or going for the Lenovo. The price would be pretty close for each.

Well, the question is, do you use your laptop a lot with just the battery? If you are a mobile user of sorts, I'd go with the one that offers the better battery life and better portability. It seems that both choices are essentially the same in this regard, so I'd go with which one would support your performance needs.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Well I have a powerful desktop right now, so I got the laptop for a balance of power and mobility (to take to school). While there are basically lots of outlets here, I'm concerned about when I go on a plane or something, that I can't even watch a movie...haha. Also, if anyone can confirm:

1. Does the Lenovo W510 have one USB 3.0 port or two. The Lenovo site says 1, but I've heard 2 elsewhere.
2. On battery power does the Lenovo throttle like the HP. On battery power my CPU drops to 931 Mhz from 1.6 Ghz and this is supposedly a design of HP. I'm curious if the Lenovo, or other manufacturers have the same thing.