Solved! Gateway P-7908u FX vs. Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q860

draiko333

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop for gaming and I've narrowed my options down to these two. Would like some input on which of the two you guys think would be better.

Gateway P-7908u FX:

* 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
* 4GB (2x2GB) RAM
* 500GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
* SuperMulti DVD Burner
* nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M Graphics
* 17" Widescreen Display
* Integrated Webcam & Microphone
* 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
* Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q860:

* 2.26GHz Intel Core i5-430M
* 4GB (2x 2GB) RAM
* 500GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
* SuperMulti DVD Burner with Labelflash
* nVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB Graphics
* 18.4" Widescreen Display
* Integrated Webcam and Microphone
* 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
* Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Also if anyone knows of another laptop that's better still for under $1300.00 feel free to pipe in! (Must ship to Canada). I'd prefer a 17"+ screen however... I know I can probably do better performance-wise at that price in a smaller laptop but for now let's stick with 17"+ :)

Thanks.

Solution
Hello and welcome to the forums :)
In terms of gaming the first one would be faster but in other tasks the second one is a better choice

itendo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Any particular breakdown between the two in bloatware? That is typically my fear with buying laptops. I have had the Qosmio on my list for awhile and would like to know how/if its crippled (or the Gateway for that matter).

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Maziar is quite correct, the Gateway is a better gaming machine and the Toshiba is better at *almost* everything else. Another feature not listed here is that the Gateway has 2x HDD bays with only one filled. You can drop another HDD in there. I just ordered one of these because of that. In terms of bloatware you cannot esxcape it, you can only remove it. My solution will be to wipe both my HDDs when they come and install a fresh copy of Win 7.

G

I am also looking at the same two.
I had an old Gateway fx and it was stolen and was looking to replace it with another fx but saw the Toshiba.
which is better?
I really loved the FX - but this other one seems to have more features- but will it handle well??

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Notes on the gateway now that I've used it for a while. It's big and it's heavy. The damn thing weighs about 10lbs which makes it barely portable. That said it runs beautifully. No temp issues even under heavy gaming load and the RAID system works perfectly. Gaming performance is decent but not as good as my desktop, naturally. it's great for gaming on the road though. Overall I'd have to say thumbs up.