Problem with my subwoofer

blazerboy

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
My father in laws Sony SA-VE835ED Subwoofer doesnt work anymore, hasnt for about a month, it was working great and then just next thing u know a month goes by and its not working anymore, the light wont turn on on the power switch for on/off. My impression is that its a blown fuse/fuses in the sub. But then again im new to this so im not too sure. I found something on another website forum stating the fuse types, and i will list them as follows.

F901 1-533-310-11 FUSE, GLASS CYLINDRICAL (DIA.5)(6.3A/125V) (US,CND,MX)

F902 1-533-312-11 FUSE, GLASS CYLINDRICAL (DIA.5)(10A/125V) (US,CND,MX)

I have no idea what im looking at, I threw both into the google search and came up with nothing, could someone link me to a besbuy/radioshack/frys page that corresponds to what I need? Many thanks

G

If you can access the fuses it's fairly easy to see if they've blown. If not visible damage, check with a multimeter.

If they can be removed take them to a local store such as Radio Shack -- the voltage is 125v (as you expect) one is designed to work with up to 6.3 amps , the other is a 10 amp type.

G

Any fuse that works with 125v and 6.3/10 amps will work? Probably.

The type of fuse will be obvious to anyone who has knowledge of electronics -- it's either a fast blow or slow blow type depending on application -- so I'd note which belongs where and remove them and take them to a shop like Radio Shack.

The DIA .5 may refer to the diameter.

I suppose I should mention that in my experience it's seldom the fuses which cause problems -- and if they blow there may be something else wrong causing that.

I recently took apart a Creative subwoofer which wasn't working and found that two capacitors on the mainboard had failed. I would guess they were part of the power circuitry. I identified them easily because the end caps were domed when they should be flat due to pressure inside. This seems to be a common fault with modern (Chinese) electronics and is fairly easy to remedy -- if you can solder.

blazerboy

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
so for identifying the problem with it, what should i look for first, second and third? Im assuming 1st is fuses, how do i tell that they are bad? Capacitors are next i assume and how do i tell? And what should i do after that if all else fails, i love the sub and really want to get it working again

G

Fuses, test with multimeter -- though you can often see if they've blown because of smoke stains or burns inside the glass.

Capacitors -- look for bulging end caps or leakage.

If it is fuses or capacitors it shouldn't take repair guy more than an hour to fix and he'll probably have parts in stock (and they cost peanuts).

blazerboy

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I want to fix it myself and the capacitors are good i just checked, idk if the fuses are good or not but im going to replace the fuses and see where that takes me. Um theres a part on the main board i believe, it looks like a big box and i guess it looks kind of like a cap too, it connects to i think 6 prongs sticking out of the board, and it looks like it isnt connecting on the last 2, but i threw the plug into the wall and turned it on while I held that part down and it didnt power on. Tempted to just ask a repair technician to fix it but i dont know the price or let alone where to find one

G

"Um theres a part on the main board i believe, it looks like a big box and i guess it looks kind of like a cap too, it connects to i think 6 prongs sticking out of the board, and it looks like it isnt connecting on the last 2, but i threw the plug into the wall and turned it on while I held that part down"

Sounds like the power supply transformer. I think you may hurt yourself at some point if you are not more careful -- capacitors, for example, can hold quite a high charge and I have had a shock off them even some minutes after turning off the wall power to an amplifier.

Failed capacitors do not always bulge. Fuses, test with multimeter -- though you can often see if they've blown because of smoke stains or burns inside the glass.

I suggest a repair guy.

blazerboy

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Ran a test with a multimeter and the powersupply transformers wires were broken, i soldered it off the board when i couldnt wait any longer and sure enough....4 out of 5 prongs were not on and the wires were snapped on it... my theory is that my ocd mother was cleaning and she grabbed it like a person that doesnt know what the hell they are doing, and eneed up dropping the sub which caused it to break off. Thats my theory. I tested the fuses, and they work and the capacitors dont look bad, and the only sure thing i do know is that transformer is very screwed up, im not sure that its the only problem, but i do for 100% sure know that is a Major problem if not the only one. Problem is, trying to find the part online...i cant find it, and when i do it says the part in not in stock ...aka discontinued.
The original sets model number is SA-VE835ED
The subs model number on the back of it is SA-WMS835
And what is listed on the side of the transformer, not sure exactly as to what the part number is but ill list it from top to bottom what the label says.

1-437-793-11
SKP0204-A91
RJ 271 SK

Again its a sony system

blazerboy

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Ok so I got the part, finally. Took off the old one, removed the old solder, applied the new transformer with rosin core solder. It powered up! My success was short lived though, as I did not have an rca cable to hook it up. I went and got one, and plugged it in and no sound. The sub didn't make a single peep. I unplugged the rca cord from my receiver and touched the tip, as you will hear a buzzing noise iv been told. But there was no buzzing. Nothing at all. The power is on, the light is on, but no sound. The fuses apear to be good, but im not sure. Do you think the fuses are the problem? Or is there another problem ? I noticed that the green light is on even after I disconnected both fuses, and powered it on. The light shows a steady green. Im thinking this could be the problem, but any suggestions?

G

Yours is certainly turning out to be a long job.

I'm afraid my experience of sub-woofers is limited to the Creative model I found, non-functioning but rescued with a few dollars worth of new capacitors.

G

On the Creative it was the biggest capacitor which had failed and one of the smaller ones. Both were bulging and when replaced the system came back to life.

Capacitors are cheap -- if you can be bothered with the labour replace them all. You need a fairly pointy soldering iron and preferably a small solder pump. Just observe the ratings carefully (I'd make a diagram and remove the originals and take them with you to the parts store). Make sure you put the replacements in the right way round polarity-wise.

G

You've just done a PM!

Unhide the Right Column on the forum screen or go to the bottom of the screen and look for the Messages alert.