Need advice on computer speakers!

vanderluzt

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Hi!

I have recently got a new system assembled. I am now looking for a good set of computer speakers to go with the system. I use the system to watch a lot of movies as well as listen to music almost every day. So I am looking for something that gives me a decent home theater experience.

I remember reading somewhere that “bigger and heavier speakers almost always sound better than small, lightweight ones”. What about speakers with a wooden base, single/multiple woofers, etc? I am not looking for advice on any particular brand so much as the aspects or factors to be considered while shopping for speakers. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

By the way, my system config is as below:

AMD Athlon II X3 440 Processor on MSI 880GMA-E45 motherboard with 2X2 GB Corsair DDR3 RAM

OS is Windows 7 Ultimate Ed. 32bit.

Solution
Bookshelf speakers with a solid stand and floorstanders are basically the same thing, minus the extra woofer. This can be alleviated by getting a subwoofer. So size is not everything.

As far as micro-satellite speakers, they aren't very ideal audio transducers. It's like a squirrel trying to reproduce the human voice.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Bookshelf speakers with a solid stand and floorstanders are basically the same thing, minus the extra woofer. This can be alleviated by getting a subwoofer. So size is not everything.

As far as micro-satellite speakers, they aren't very ideal audio transducers. It's like a squirrel trying to reproduce the human voice.

Solution

Clayman22

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I use an old sharp xl-hp515 with my computer and its good enough for me.
The sound is better than most of the stereo systems available at best buy currently.
I also use the realtec audio software.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
there are some 3 inch single driver speakers out there, and they cost over £4500 :)

so i guess it depends what u mean by small, but i think if the driver is gd, 3 inch is good for a medium sized room.