Which Netbook?!

Sabre_X

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
I'm looking to purchase a new netbook and I thought i'd look for some advice as I haven't bought a netbook before! I've done some reading and there's a few features I'd quite like to have, but i'm not sure if a netbook exists with all the features:

Reasonably Light Weight- no more than 1.5kg
Good battery life- 6,600mAh 6-cell
Inbuilt webcam and microphone
Scroller on the mouse-pad and possibly multi-touch
10.1" screen, matte.
Multi-media card Input for SD cards
Charge-and-sleep USB ports would be good
Outputs- VGA, preferably HDMI
CPU- N280 / Atom N470 / Athlon X2 L310
RAM- 2GB minimum. DDR2 667MHz minimum
Graphics- Won't be gaming on it, but would the ability to play HD video
Storage- 80GB HDD would be fine
Wireless Connectivity- I don't understand the difference between 802.11a/b/g/n- but whatever the best is! Bluetooth would fairly useful but not necessary. 3G would be very useful... and I don't know what WiMax is.

Ones that I have been considering are-
MSI Wind
Asus Eee PC 1000HE
Samsung N140
Dell Inspiron Mini 10
Toshiba NB200
Acer Aspire One
Acer Ferrari One

HP Mini 5102
Asus 1005 PE
Toshiba NB305

Alienware M11x

Please would someone advise- I'm so confused!

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Ultimate_Destructo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
So if you are aware of what you want, you should look at the specs of the other netbooks. You can also look up reviews of them.

As for the graphics card, I know netbooks have terrible ones, but they might be able to play HD video. The only thing is, netbooks generally come in either 1024x600 resolution or 1366x768 resolution, and ideally you would want 1280x720 for watching HD videos. There is also the problem that HD videos take up a huge amount of hard drive space. (A 2 hour movie @ 1280x720 would be around 14GB I'm guessing.)

"Wireless Connectivity- I don't understand the difference between 802.11a/b/g/n- but whatever the best is! Bluetooth would fairly useful but not necessary. 3G would be very useful... and I don't know what WiMax is."

The 802.11... thing is basically a type of wireless connectivity but even with netbooks I don't think you have to worry about the wireless card to be too slow for internet. I've never heard of WiMax.

Sabre_X

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
After some thought I would be most keen on 1366x768. Most the movies i'd be watching are reasonably small in size and are in standard definition but some of the movies I have are in HD (4.7GB) 720p. I don't mind if the screen's resolutions forces that to be downscaled or if it's quality only appears standard definition on the screen, but as long as it doesnt lag, or tear.

Sabre_X

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Ah well in that case I'm just confused about which netbook to go for. There's so many that are all so similar! :(