vigaku

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Hello. I'm almost sure that, before turning on my HP 30-watt 2.1 Speaker System, I turned on the device it was connected to, my Xbox 360. I thought that as long as the Xbox isn't letting out any sound, AND/OR the volume on the speaker is turned all the way down, then this isn't a problem, since if either of these requirements are met then it won't cause a sudden loud noise, i.e. something that would damage/blow the speaker.

I don't have an amplifier or anything. The only thing with power cords are my set of three speakers (one of them is a subwoofer) and my Xbox 360.

I've been doing some research and heard the following is the "correct" way to turn on/off the speaker. First, you turn on the speaker. Then, you turn on the device. When the time comes to turn these off, it's vice versa (device off first, then the speaker).

Is this right/true? Or does it not matter?

I thought for a while the reason behind this was to prevent loud sudden "pop" noises that may occur if it's not done this way. Of course in order for this to happen the volume on the speakers would need to be turned up in the first place, and mine wasn't.

If the "correct" procedure I gave above is true, would you say there's a different reason besides the sudden popping noises, to go by that procedure? Is there something besides what I think that procedure is for, that I don't know about? Such as another way it can cause damage to the speakers?

Thanks for your help. I currently still have the speaker and 360 on, and will not turn them off until I get an answer hopefully soon. Like I said I may have done something incorrectly at first but I'll be sure to get the required knowledge this time.

The standard practice would be to turn on the Xbox first (some devices have turn on thumps) and then the amplified speakers. This way the thump is not heard. The reverse would amplify that thump and potentially damage the speakers. This is not as common a problem as it was so many people feel it makes no difference.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

I agree 100%. The speakers should be the last components to be powered up in all cases...the sound that can come through can be pretty intense at times.

Your thread is titled which should be "powered off first." In the case of shutting down, work backwards shutting down the speakers first.