Hyperthreading Intels vs. AMD dual cores

sonicone

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
How do AMD dual core Turions compare/compete with intels i-core hyperthreading? I love my AMD Turion 2 Ultra m600 but am wondering if switching to an i3-330 would be a good move. Mainly use laptop for general computer tasks (web surfing, e-mail, music and movies), nothing too serious.

Solution
This benchmark doesn't seem to scale well across multiple cores, so here's a more or less singled comparison between the two:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Turion+II+Ultra+Dual-Core+Mobile+M600
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3+M+330+%40+2.13GHz

HyperThreading is unrelated to turbo boost. HyperThreading simply creates 2 logical cores of a single physical core - which emulates a 2*n core environment (though it certainly doesn't produce the performance of one, it does improve performance in multi-threaded applications some).

The i3 is faster in both single and multi-threaded applications, but again, the point is nill considering you won't ever notice with the type of computing you do.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I wouldn't spend money buying a new laptop just to get hyperthreading, that is a lot of money for very little improvement in your case. You are not going to notice any difference doing what you are doing.

sonicone

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
The AMD m600 clocks faster (2.4G) than the i-330 (2.13G). Where does the AMD m600 fall short compared to the i-330? How does hyper threading improve performance without "turbo boost" technology?

By the way, thanks for your responses.

sonicone

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

If you have a moment please respond to my reply. Thanks for your input.

sonicone

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

Any thoughts on my reply? Thanks for your help.

frozenlead

Distinguished
This benchmark doesn't seem to scale well across multiple cores, so here's a more or less singled comparison between the two:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Turion+II+Ultra+Dual-Core+Mobile+M600
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3+M+330+%40+2.13GHz

HyperThreading is unrelated to turbo boost. HyperThreading simply creates 2 logical cores of a single physical core - which emulates a 2*n core environment (though it certainly doesn't produce the performance of one, it does improve performance in multi-threaded applications some).

The i3 is faster in both single and multi-threaded applications, but again, the point is nill considering you won't ever notice with the type of computing you do.

Solution

sonicone

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

Thanks.

Now I have a dilemma. I could not decide in store with the limited amount of usage the store displays allow so I bought two laptops and must return one soon. I will lose about $100.00 regardless on the restocking fee. Salemen just didn't seem very helpful and actually I was told the AMD m600 would outperform the i330. I wasn't sure so I bought a Toshiba Satellite A505D-s6987 with the AMD Turion m600/DDR2 with an m880G and ATI radeon HD 4200 graphics (plus plently of bells and whistles like slot drive DVD w/lightscribe, lighted keyboard, multi touch pad, e-sata, 16" screen but no bluetooth) and a couple of days ago I bought a Fujitsu Ah550 Lifebook with the i330m/DDR3 and bluetooth and integrated intel HD graphics accelerator. Both are 4G with 500G hard drives. While the salesman said Fujitsus are superior products being the only computer built and designed in Japan, I cannot find any relative info to this fact. Any opionion now that I have both on my desk? As you have said, I don't notice any difference other than what I read in graphs and charts. I just want something I can rely on in the future. How outdated is the Toshiba as it is a much better looking machine with a lot more options? Unfortunately I thought the Toshiba had DDR3 but it does not hence the other reason I wanted to try the Fujitsu.

sonicone

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

Thanks a ton.