Powered Subwoofer choice?

oblivion666

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I was looking at two subs from newegg and I don't know much about subwoofers, so I need some help =(. I want the sub to have a punch to it something I will feel, but also at the same time sound really nice for games and movies. Like when an explosion happens I want to feel it and when something a little less happens like a shotgun fire I want to be able to hear the crunchy bass and have it sound nice too. =\

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=82-290-038&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=4&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=82-290-130&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=4&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
lol hope u have a big room.

well if ur going to buy a subwoofer from a choice between 2 that is from the same brand, then id just go for the more expensive one, sorry i can not eleborate more on this, only because i never owned a polk sub b4.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

What are your main speakers? That is where most of the sound comes from. Subs only deliver bass.
Thanks
Dave

inerax

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
The specs on newegg tell it all.

one is 8 inch and the other is 12 inch.

if you want BOOOOOOM when things go BOOOOOOM in your movies go with the 12 inch.

Im looking into the same sub and cannot wait to get it. (i want 2 of the lol)

someone feel free to correct if im wrong but a 12 should make more boom than a 8.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=82-290-130&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=4&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=(keywords)&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
well u also want teh bass to be subtle but also go bang sometimes not boom hence tightness/timing,

bigger doenst always mean better :)

there are 6.5inch subs by velodyne and they cost over 500

oblivion666

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
sooo all we established was bigger subs go boom LOL .... yes they do only because they have the ability to push more air around.

We didnt even talk about the watts or the features or the frequency response the nominal impedance the crossovers the materials LMAO thx guys seriously it was entertaining thread

The pirce has absolutely nothing to do with this case there are two differen't types of subs that people will enjoy. One for people who enjoy audio and movies and basic media which you would probably want the smaller sub for more of a quality sound and the other based on personality if you like loudness and really deep sounds

bigswole

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

You will not go wrong with the 12. I got one last summer. Shake the whole 2 flat apt. much more power than i bargained for. must keep turning down

bigswole

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

12 will go boom boom boom and swish the air around you .I got one last summer from newegg. got the 10 from best buy. I want another 12 since its so darn good. I was in shock and awe !

diw321

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

If your room is larger than 12x12, then go for the 12 inch, it will fill the room. I use to have an 8 inch in a 10x10 room and it worked nicely, but wasn't gut wrenching. I have the BIC F-12 (I long debated between this and the 505) and it is pretty thunderous in a 10x12 room. fills the room and can be heard outside if turned up, not for apartments! if you are in an apartment, go for 8 inch unless you like moving.

bigswole

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I can co sign on the 12 not being for an apt. but for price it was/is nice to have the extra power under the hood,,Ill never use all those horses except for the rare (very) show off stunt for freinds.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
ya'll need an equalizer for the subwoofer.

my room is 12ft x 13ft and i have two twelves that can thunder the room.. but i have used the equalizer to bring up the 20hz area and lower some of the 30hz area and lower much of the 60hz area.

if you run out and get a high powered subwoofer, you will probably see lots of high frequencies (40hz - 80hz) with only half as much at 20hz - 30hz (maybe less)

trust me.. you dont want a subwoofer that plays 40hz - 80hz too loud.
you will always turn it down because its loud enough to get you into trouble, but never turned up high enough to play some REAL subwoofer bass.

one good example:
you buy a new subwoofer and dont have any way to adjust the different frequencies.
now you listen to some rock music and the kick drum from the drum set is way too loud.
but you leave it way too loud because you want to hear the lower bass from bass guitars and/or special effects from movies or digital audio.

you'll be screaming the high frequencies so you can hear the lowest bass notes.
most subwoofers have a bass boost, but the frequency is centered too high (and the width is way too wide because it will bring up the 40hz area)

i'm not talking about comparing the quality of a setup to formula 1 race cars.
but you see lots of four cylinder vehicles with turbos and superchargers.

as usual.. you either buy a car and make it go faster, or you buy a new engine or performance parts to make it provide more power.

generally, if you want a fast car, you are met with a challenge.

comparing a subwoofer to formula 1 race cars would depend on the quality of the speaker and the quality of the amplifier.

buying a subwoofer can be compared to buying a car.
there are lots of people making the purchase.. but there are loads of people who arent buying anything for the car.
no sticker in the window
no front seat covers
no new rims

it remains stock and they are trying to race with 'em.
i know this isnt entirely appropriate, but people buy a car to travel faster than walking or riding a bicycle.
so if you are gonna go faster, might as well enjoy it while there isnt a speed limit.

a subwoofer can be too loud, but turning down frequencies of 40hz - 80hz can really allow you to turn up the subwoofer extra.

i mean.. turn down frequencies of 40hz - 80hz and leave 20hz - 30hz the same.. then raise the volume until 40hz - 80hz sounds like it did before you turned those frequencies down.
you should be pleasently suprised.

a lot can happen when you purchase a 'home theater in a box'
one complaint may be, the subwoofer doesnt play low enough.
but one huge compromise is a subwoofer that doesnt play very loud, but it plays very low.

see.. two twelve's with 100 watts each is enough for a 12ft x 13ft room
but that means one twelve will need 200 watts and a proper box size and port length.

less power will require you to turn the amplifier all most all of the way up and it will have to stay there if you want to match vocals of the reference 75dB

you can always use less power if you have a the right speaker box.

perhaps you need to read car audio forums, because they go fanatic about building the right box with the perfect port size/length.
some people tune the box at 40hz to play extra loud 40hz tones to win the loudest car contest.
other people tune the box at 30hz to get low.
and some people tune the box lower than 30hz to keep the subwoofer from moving in and out violently when playing the bottom of the audible frequency range.

cd's and dvd's and bluray discs have a frequency response of at least 20hz - 20,000hz
there is no reason why your speakers shouldnt play each one of those frequencies.

people who dont like large amounts of bass dont like subwoofers because they usually play too loud.
and the only way to turn it down and play low, you have to use the right speaker box size with the right port size/length.

just like some cars get the best miles per gallon at a specific mile per hour (and RPM)
subwoofers get their best output per watt at a specific frequency.. and that frequency is dependant on the box size and port.

mufflers are all about sound.. and if you cut the muffler off, the exhaust isnt really loud until you rev up the engine.

a subwoofer in a small box will play 50hz - 80hz really loud
the bigger the box, the less loud that frequency range will be.

this isnt 100% true though, because the speaker can be unique and might consider 50hz - 80hz as 'ugly' and wont play those frequencies.
but the same can be said about 30hz
if the subwoofer finds that frequency 'ugly' it wont play it without putting up a fight.

the speaker doesnt play very low.. but its not always because the speaker cant play that low, its because the box is the wrong size.

if you care to experiment.. get some wood from the garbage.
people throw away old drawers and computer desks and entertainment centers all the time.
a bigger box and longer port will allow the speaker play lower.

a ported box works just like a flute or clarinet or saxophone.
if you change the holes that the air blows out, you change the size of the air chamber and the tone changes.

dont let an extra loud kick drum ruin your subwoofer experience.
its like having a car with no muffler and you dont want to drive anywhere because its too loud.

**edit**
my main speakers play 38hz effortlessly.. so why would i purchase a subwoofer that says it can only go down to 38hz ?
the purpose of getting a subwoofer is to extend the frequency reponse.
i see the 12 inch version has sold out.
it has 173 five star reviews.

if you want movie explosions.. that can go as deep as 18hz
when the specifications are at 38hz .. the speaker cone will probably move in and out a lot, but you wont have much output.
the reality is, if you force that speaker to play much lower than it is intended.. you will probably make the speaker smack the magnet before you are happy with the output.

the box 'tune' is supposed to help the output like a turbo helps a car go faster.

this website will help you determine what the box is tuned at:
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

you can take the outside measurements and input them into the calculator.
then input the port size (how big around) and how long the port is + the size of the box = rough estimate of the 'tune'

this website also has a calculator.. but has some information to help you realize why the calculator is important:
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm