Solved! Having a Difficult Time Choosing

danellebreo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Solution
With the factor of mobility, the macbook weighs the same with a larger, brighter, and overall better screen. The mac also is much thinner than the AW. They both get about 6 hours of battery life (yes, they both try to stretch the truth.)The mac wins this round.

The factor of performance. The macbook has a crappyish graphics card with enough juice to let you play diablo 3 and guild wars 2. The AW has much more than 'just enough. lets go to CPU now. Obviously, the AW needs a ULV processor (which sucks) to get a large battery life. On the mac side, you get an advanced Core 2 duo. AW wins in a graphical way, the mac wins in the trivial stuff (boot up time, app launch ime, sleep time, etc. etc.)

The factor of usability. Mac keyboard...

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
This is a tough one. Can you tell me activities you want to do on a computer and what you expect? It's kinda weird comparing the world's most powerful 11 inch gaming laptop to the world's most advanced 13 incher :p.

I have the Macbook (white, unibody) and I LOVE IT. i can only guess the aluminum pro is better.

Apple is going to upate their Macbook Pro line soon. I suggest you hold out till then.

danellebreo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010

Lets see uhm I will be moving alot so both follow the category of mobility. The alienware has 8.5 estimated of battery life and it has the powerful specs for gaming. In the future I can probably see myself playing diablo 3 and guild wars 2.

As for the mac i was planning to dual boot 7 on it for the incompatibilities. I've never really had a mac, but i really need something that will last me sometime.

Here are the specs im planning to get for the A.W.

SYSTEM COLOR Alienware M11x, Cosmic Black
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Duo SU7300 1.3GHz (3MB Cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz
HARD DRIVE 160GB SATAII 5,400RPM BTW i will be swapping this out for a hd i have lying around it has 500 gigs 7200 rpm I would be doing the same thing with the mac
VIDEO CARD 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 335M
LCD PANEL 11.6-inch WideHD 1366x768 (720p) WLED
SOUND OPTIONS Internal High-Definition Surround Sound Audio (5.1)
WIRELESS CARDS Alienware M11x a/b/g/n 2x2 MIMO Wireless
WEBCAM 1.3MP Web Cam

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
With the factor of mobility, the macbook weighs the same with a larger, brighter, and overall better screen. The mac also is much thinner than the AW. They both get about 6 hours of battery life (yes, they both try to stretch the truth.)The mac wins this round.

The factor of performance. The macbook has a crappyish graphics card with enough juice to let you play diablo 3 and guild wars 2. The AW has much more than 'just enough. lets go to CPU now. Obviously, the AW needs a ULV processor (which sucks) to get a large battery life. On the mac side, you get an advanced Core 2 duo. AW wins in a graphical way, the mac wins in the trivial stuff (boot up time, app launch ime, sleep time, etc. etc.)

The factor of usability. Mac keyboard, illuminated, isolated. seamless Multitouch trackpad, and other random but useful features u wont get on the AW. Mac OS X, the world's most advanced OS (apple doesn't stretch the truth here :p) The Mac dominates this round. once you use snow leopard you'll love it! To be fair, the AW has lots more options for software.

I recommend waiting a bit longer for the new Macbook pros, though. :D happy sub 5 pound notebook buying

Solution

danellebreo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010

Wow sounds good. I am going to use bootcamp to install windows 7 on the macbook pro as soon as i get the chance question is when will apple make its unveiling of the new mac book pro. Another question rose after reading is that do you think i should get the cheaper model of the mac book pro 13 or the 1500 one. I could always go on new egg and get replacement ram and i have the hdd ready for replacement. Will the processor speed of 28 ghz make a difference in the long run?

TRENDING THREADS