High pitch noise through speakers

redliner8

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I started using a Sony KDL-32BX300 32'' TV as my computer monitor. I have it connected using an HDMI cable from my computer to the TV. I started hearing a random, loud high-pitch noise coming from the TV speakers (which is turned all the way down, since I use my computer speakers instead). So I attempted to fix the problem by opening the TV and cutting the TV speaker wires so no sound would come out. It fixed the high-pitch problem, but now it will randomly turn off. So I reconnected the TV speakers, now it doesn't turn off, but the high-pitch noise is back. It seems like I'm stuck between the TV randomly turning off or hearing a high-pitch noise. Any thoughts???

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Check the ground wires throughout your entire system. I was just reading that something like 80% of all electrical problems can be traced to the ground.

The CD player in my car starts producing high frequency sounds. Push the plug in and re-seat the ground and all is fine. The ground comes loose in my case because of the terrible roads around here...way too many potholes.

redliner8

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
thanks, I will try this. I was also told to cut the wires and insert an 8 ohm resistor
between the leads. I'm not electronically inclined so I'm not sure what this would do...?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

On what wires? Just for your sake, DO NOT INSERT RESISTOR ON ANY GROUND WIRE, that unless it's part of the circuit design on your build. In case of short and you touch the metal part of your equipment, whatever the resistance that resistor is supressing; you'll get it in your body. Major HAZARD!!!

High pitch noise on your TV is more likely the result between your cable TV signal connected to your TV and your computer to the TV. And Yes, grounding is the issue. As your TV does not have ground lead and the ground is coming from the Cable signal. Unfortunately, you have been using that connection with problem for a long time; hope your systems are not damage. Try unpluging the cable signal from the TV if the noise is still there? Another issue if you have audio system connection using any copper wire type connected to either unit.