100% CPU on my laptop after HD change

weks

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
A problem I haven't run in to before, and that is somewhat rare, so I come here asking for knowledge.

Here is the situation, I have a HP NC6320 that came with XP on it, yesterday I tried to install Windows 7 to it on another hard drive that I had lying around. Now when 7 had installed, I noticed it was running 100% CPU all the time, after installing all updates and drivers I gave up and put the XP drive back in.

The weird part is, now XP is showing 100% CPU usage too.

I've tried restoring my BIOS defaults, which didn't help, so I'm really stumped right now.

Yours sincerely,

WEKS

G

Is the 100% CPU message what you see when you press Ctrl Alt Del in Windows and select Performance ?

Or is it an HP hardware message telling you that the processor is working at full speed -- on some laptops, when things overheat or battery is low or whatever it switches the CPU to a slower speed.

weks

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah, when using the task manager, it was THE task manager using all the CPU. In any case it just suddenly stopped doing the 100% thing, for both XP and Windows 7. My gut feeling says it was some kind of weird hardware problem, hope it stays fixed.