My Sony Bravia's screen is black, how can I fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meat_doctor

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Hello,

My Sony Bravia TV screen has gone all black. The green on/off light comes on, but no picture appears.

The model is KDL-40S4100 and was manufactured in Nov. 2008.

first i'd say try all the normal things...

swap sources, check to see if the osd comes up, etcetera. it might just be that the tv isnt receiving a signal from the source its tuned to. see if theres a way to factory reset the tv, try it.

if no matter what you do nothing shows up...

maybe the backlight burned out or maybe something on the mb burned out. go over and sniff the tv, notice any smell? if this is the case, i dont suggest trying to fix it yourself.

m1m1m1

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

I have the same problem today and wanted to know how you solved your problem...

sonyguy_06

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I've had this problem twice. Here's how I solved it. Turn TV on, as soon as BRAVIA goes off the screen, count a second or two and then quickly change channel. Up or down doesn't matter. Don't just do it once either to be sure press channel up or down multiple times. Timing is key. I don't have cable so this happened to me while surfing through the digital channels. I came across a channel that showed on screen for a second and then this problem happened. Anyways , good luck!

taetaetae

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Wew, thanks a lot sonyguy_06 this solved mo problem too, thanks for sharing!

hotstuff1

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Mine tv went all black. I read the inctoncions like about 2 time and i still don't get.Frist it was fine than at night i treid it and the screen was black.I misspelled some words but i don't really care

dallasrocks

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

Sonyguy_06, YOU da MAN! that worked like a charm and I had to sign up to say that, thanks!

LCAGirl

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014

This worked for me. Thanks, You are the man..... Respect.

Cristinab

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014

It work for my INSIGNIA THANK YOU

mfoytek

Estimable
Aug 17, 2014
I had this problem too, but what I did solved the problem for good. This is what I did; These tvs have open slots in the back for venting hot air coming from the electronics. One must first bang on the back of the TV and this might dislodge enough of the dust to allow a connection again. I know this sounds weak, but it worked for me. If you have a screw driver you can remove the screws from the back and dust out all of the dirt that has collected over the years. If this doesn't work the most likely one or more of the capacitors have blown and need to be replaced. If your not trained to do this I would pay someone who is. When the dust covers the electronics in the back it can keep the components from making a connection where they short from one to another instead make the path they are suppose to. I hope this helped.

noodles45

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014
THANK YOU Sonyguy_06 your answer partially solved my problem. My sony bravia was turning on, I could hear the show but had no picture for live tv or OnDemand. Dvr playback was fine.

Your solution solved the non picture for live tv but still no picture (just sound) fir OnDemand

Status
Not open for further replies.