8ohms speakers

G

Hello,i have a pioneer hifi receiver with rms of 135w at 8ohms or 170w at 6ohms. my qustion is would this receiver be able to drive a public address speaker

G

Most speakers are nominally 8 ohms.

The problem with PA speakers is sometimes they are designed to operate with a specific type of amplifier designed for long wire runs -- I can't quite remember the terminology but it involves higher voltages and would not be compatible with a domestic receiver. So be careful if you prize your Pioneer.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Hello,i have a pioneer hifi receiver with rms of 135w at 8ohms or 170w at 6ohms. my qustion is would this receiver be able to drive a public address speaker

Some speakers such as infinity go as low as 4 ohms. But a reciever rated at 6 ohms should be able to handle the load.
Dave

clive57

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

hi ya, NO!!! dont do it. 1st you suffer from feedback, 2 you will most certainly blow your amp.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009

feedback??? how do you know he has a sound loop??? he wont blow the amp... you have something called a volume control for that.

clive57

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Whats the use of turning it down when you need volume. He wants to use his hi amp for a pa system, I assume it will be for speach of some kind. (Depending on the size of room and the number of people of cource) but if he needs to amplify for a pa he needs more power to reduce feed back and if he is not using a good quality mic such as the industry standard SM58 he'll have problems even if he doesn't toast his amp.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
more power does not equate to reduction in feedback... feedback is purely caused by the looping of sound.

infact if u give more power to speakers, so that they will play louder, they will be even higher chance of feedback.

clive57

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
unfortunately you are wrong. It isn't giving more power to the speakers that cause feedback it the type of speakers used and the pick up of the mic or giutar and their reaction within a certain environment using a more powerful system raises the feedback level therefore mics can be used at a higher level. I've been in the live music and sound system since the mid 70's I am also an electronic engr. and I teach sound recording techniques. You need to research what I have told you and understand why howl round starts in the first place. Have a good!

Will it drive a public address speaker, of course it will!
Certainly blow your amp? Bullshit. It will work with no problem.
Feedback? That's what an EQ is for, to tune out the feedback, if there is ANY.
More power does not reduce feedback, where did you learn about sound? From a Cheerio's box? Oh, Pleeeeease!
It may not be the IDEAL PA amp, but it will certainly work, if nothing else is available.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Most speakers are nominally 8 ohms.

The problem with PA speakers is sometimes they are designed to operate with a specific type of amplifier designed for long wire runs -- I can't quite remember the terminology but it involves higher voltages and would not be compatible with a domestic receiver. So be careful if you prize your Pioneer.
fihart, you are talking about a 70.7 volt system.