Alienware M11x Available for Pre-Order

r_manic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Anyone remember that "netbook" powerful enough to play 3D games? Now it's up for pre-order!
Alienware's 11.6-inch gaming notebook is now up for preorder, and more importantly, its inner-workings have been made public. Sadly, the base $799 system is meeker than we hoped, carrying a 1.3GHz Intel Pentium SU4100 processor, 2GB of DDR3 800MHz RAM, a 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT335M GPU, and a 160GB 5400RPM HDD.
March 1 is the promised ship date Source

NST

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

No need for this.Maziar came quickly and closed it.

Josea

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I am in the market for a small laptop as my second machine, but ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I just configured a system and it added up to nearly $2000 US. I did not see an option for a second battery, and I read somewhere that the battery is not replaceable. I chose win 7 Pro, 4 GIG ram (800 MhZ ???), the better of the 2 processors, and 256 GIG SSD. (80 Gig intel would have been a nice option) Also 3 yr. service. and Optical Drive. (No custom dock station either)
For #$%^# sake my 5 year old Latitude D610 had 2 optional dock stations available when I got it.
I want to use my machine to hook to my 1 year old SONY TV (720i) and it only has VGA, so the fact that the M11X also has VGA out was one factor that drew me to it, but I think I can do a lot better for this cost.

NST

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

Why choose the SSD drive?Also, how small is the laptop you need? (I have something to suggest)
My own configuration costs 1399$ and I maxxed out everything except the hard drive, because it is easily to upgrade it and SSDs will become much cheaper in the near future, and the warranty service, because I can repair it myself.
My specs:
Alienware M11x, Cosmic Black
Intel® Core™2 Duo SU7300 1.3GHz (3MB Cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz
500GB SATAII 7,200RPM
No Internal WWAN Antenna Installed

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
JOSEA wrote :

I am in the market for a small laptop as my second machine, but ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I just configured a system and it added up to nearly $2000 US. I did not see an option for a second battery, and I read somewhere that the battery is not replaceable. I chose win 7 Pro, 4 GIG ram (800 MhZ ???), the better of the 2 processors, and 256 GIG SSD. (80 Gig intel would have been a nice option) Also 3 yr. service. and Optical Drive. (No custom dock station either)
For #$%^# sake my 5 year old Latitude D610 had 2 optional dock stations available when I got it.
I want to use my machine to hook to my 1 year old SONY TV (720i) and it only has VGA, so the fact that the M11X also has VGA out was one factor that drew me to it, but I think I can do a lot better for this cost.

Yes, but your five year old laptop came with a bad graphics card, 4 hour battery life, and a 14 inch screen. It's kind of unfair comparing THAT to something that can play crysis and CoD MW 2 at high settings, and has a 8.5 hour battery life. (i'm not considering processor because the pentium m was good for that time)

Comparing two netbooks I can understand, but a business notebook?

You remind me of the people who compare the macbook pro to an alienware m15x. They amuse me :D

Josea

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Tunafish, I was not trying to compare the machines, (although I doubt the M11x will still be running 5 years later with all factory parts). I was just frustated and confounded by the high price and lack of a full function dock station and smaller SSD. I welcome any sugggestions, screen size and battery life are unimportant to me (I use and external monitor, or TV and am plugged in 95% of the time). I want to spend $2000 US. I just investigated a simillarly configured asus g51j-a1 from xoticpc and am leaning toward this machine now.
BTW, does replacing a hard drive void the warranty? Thanks a lot to all that have replied. This forun is the best I have found on the WEB!

NST

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
It's 1699$ and it has the following specs:
ι7-720m
8GB memory (4x2GB)
1000GB storage
Blue-Ray combo (reads Blue-Ray, writes DVD)
17.3-inch FullHD LED screen
It also features a new, innovative cooling system and a technology for quick booting.

The aforementioned price and specifications are for the Asus G73JH-A1, there will also be other, lower-end versions of the laptop.

Josea

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Thanks a lot NST. I am checking that out tomorrow B4 I order anything. I am sorry that I have lead this thready away from the original discussion in the M11X.