Speed vs threads

mdgiles

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I'm a software developer, running Windows 7, mostly with a bunch of IDEs open, and Sql Server / IIS / caching engine running in the background. I don't do any gaming on this machine. For a new notebook I have a choice between Lenovo T400 with Core 2 Duo up to 2.8Ghz and Lenovo T410 with Core i5/i7 up to 2.6 Ghz. I'm thinking for my scenario more speed beats more threads, but would appreciate any thoughts on the topic in case there's something in the new architecture I may have overlooked.

Thanks!

Solution
You might as well go with a newer i5/i7. They may not be clocked as fast in normal conditions, but with the turbo boost and the updated technology, you will not regret it. If you go with the core i7, you'll have 4 physical cores at your disposal and 4 virtual cores. Depending on the i5 model, you won't have as much processing power, but more processing power than a c2d.
You might as well go with a newer i5/i7. They may not be clocked as fast in normal conditions, but with the turbo boost and the updated technology, you will not regret it. If you go with the core i7, you'll have 4 physical cores at your disposal and 4 virtual cores. Depending on the i5 model, you won't have as much processing power, but more processing power than a c2d.

Solution