New HDTV Input Lag issues! HELP!

cbeermann

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
So I just purchased a LG 42LK520 this week and I am having some serious input lag issues. I am using it purely as a computer monitor.

I have tried switching from HDMI to VGA, still have input lag.
I turned the TV onto "Game Mode", still have input lag.

My question is that I would like to know of course is there any way I can get rid of the input lag on this particular TV. I cannot seem to find anything online on this exact TV and how to fix it so I am hoping I can find someone else with this TV that fixed it.

My next question would be that if I cannot fix the input lag on this TV, I will probably send it back and get a refund and purchase a different HDTV. I want either a 40-42 inch TV so any recommendations for the best HDTV that is that size without input lag for gaming would be most appreciated.

I really hope there is a solution because this is a magnificent TV.

Thanks for your time.

twotone8

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
I've had this problem as well, but I found a nice fix. In VGA mode at least (it might work with hdmi as well, but i haven't tested it), make sure the TV is off, and your computer is set NOT to display to the tv. Turn the TV on first (in game mode), wait for it to turn on fully, THEN set your computer to display on the tv. This eliminates pretty much all of the input lag for me. If the computer is already displaying to the tv before i turn the tv on, for some reason there's a revolting amount of input lag even in game mode. Took me months to figure out what was going on.

sakun

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah this definitely works. I myself have a LG TV (LM series) and I was also struggling with the input lag when someone told me this.

is this a 120hz or 240hz model?

it is a well known fact that the post procesing done by the television produes a noticible amount of lag. the television takes a 60hz/60fps signal and fakes in the frames. game mode is supposed to revert to a 60hz/60fps display but i've heard this does not always work as advertised.

in general if you want zero issues then you might want to stick with 60hz models exclusively. i use a 60hz sony bravia as my main display without any issues.

sakun

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

The LK series are 120Hz and I hate to say this but I have to disagree. You may not experience any issue with 60Hz models but coming from someone who upgraded from a 60Hz model to a 240Hz, it makes a big difference. I don't know about Sony but there's a fix for LG TVs so I don't see a reason to get a 60Hz TV

@sakun

what you do not seem to understand is that the lag does exist unless the television has a working game mode or 60hz mode. in which case 240hz is thrown out the window completely.

as far as image quality... 120/240hz televisions may look SLIGHTLY better for movies, but are unsuitable for gaming in that mode considering they only take a 60hz input signal! if they were able to receive a 120hz duallink dvi source things may be different!

up to the op to decide on this.

CmdrJeffSinclair

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014
I posted this thread, so here is a little more info since only a few people seemed to read or understand what I wrote (and thanks again!)

1) Game mode is on
2) ALL processing effects are off:
------Trumotion, Real Cinema, dynamic contrast and color processes, noise redurction and digital noise reduction, eye care and xvYCC (whatever the hell that last one even is)
3) Pull down is occurring regardless of setting the TV/GPU to 24Hz, 30Hz, or 60Hz
-------I know pull down is occurring since 30Hz and 24Hz are perfectly smooth, but gaming at 30Hz is intolerable when I own a $5,000 gaming monster, but I lack space for another monitor.
4) I cannot force the TV to 120Hz without the signal processing, nor does the TV accept a real 120Hz signal input anyway. This means that despite the panel being really 120Hz unlike so many other fake TV's, it makes little difference since it accepts only 60Hz, 30Hz, and 24Hz inputs AND automatically converts all signals to 120 via pull down.
5) I even tried to lock games into 48FPS via config.ini settings, but it would not work and this isn't an option for most games (since 48 evenly goes into 120).

PS3 gameplay is fine since the console is locked at 30FPS, but next gen games are strongly pushing for 60FPS which means ultra judder. With that in mind, I was hoping someone might know how to literally TURN OFF all pull down detection or turn off the 120Hz (making the screen native 60Hz for gaming) but somehow I don't think this is possible if the panel itself is a genuine 120Hz panel (ie- cannot lower to 60Hz)

Does anyone know how to force the TV to turn off all 120Hz up-conversions of the signal? The 3:2 pull down is murder.

TRENDING THREADS