Buying new laptop, suggestions?

jadow77

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
_What is your budget?
2200 USD Maximum, less is better

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13-14'

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Dosen't matter

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable

5_How much battery life do you need?
much

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
no games

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
watching and streaming movies, surfing, word

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
400-500gb

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-6 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
bluray reader

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13_What country do you live in?
sweden

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
built in wireless network card, light as possible, widows xp

Dustydharma

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I am no expert on the latest /greatest notebook but would like to just suggest in general you pick out some notebooks with good hardware like dual processors,
lots of ram, Firewire port as well as a few USBs and consider that you can get a
huge hard drive to add at home via USB so you may not need the biggest drive
for all your needs in the notebook and thus save some money on the initial purchase.
Most important for me is what you are wisely doing now....getting advice. I get
the brand and model number of whatever notebook looks interesting and then
search sites like CNet and others who do pretty decent reviews. That will make
you much more comfortable when it comes time to shell out so many many coins !
good luck ( och helsa pa ! )

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
The VAIO CW is great, But going by your needs, the VAIO Z, or the VAIO SR are much better.

Would you care to explain why yu don't want a Mac? Believe me, I didn't like them either. But my friend convinced me to buy one. As a student, it was the best laptop decision of my life. And I own 5 modern laptops.

But if you feel the need to shun a laptop because you don't know it, I recommend the VAIO's Maziar and I mentioned. I like the VAIO CW as I won it and it is quite nice to have for the price. A little chubby, though. :D