I want to build a new laptop - Fast, lightweight, 64bit W7

Goldy581

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I cannot find the laptop I am looking for on the market. I want to build an ultra-portable [5lbs<]; 13.3 or 14.1 screen; 6-8 gb RAM; long battery life[6hrs+]; OS=Windows 7 - 64bit[I would consider Linux]; Dual core CPU 800Mhz+; enhanced graphics; Wireless n; DVD RW.

Is this doable? If so, what components would you recommend?

Solution
Not sure how hard you looked or what e-tailer you are buying from but here are two possibilities...

Check out the HP Pavilion dv6-2180us NoteBook which seems to fit your specs.

For a lot less money, there is the Acer Ferrari One FO200 netbook but sans the DVD drive.

Aside from the pre-loads and bloatware, the HP seems like a nice machine...although Acer is nothing to sneeze at either.

My experience has been, especially with portable devices, that it is ultimately cheaper to buy a laptop or note/netbook than it is to build one.

However, if you insist on building your own portable, there are sites like www.directron.org, www.ocztechnology.com, and http://laptoplogic.com where you can purchase parts, barebones, and DIY...

r_manic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
There are actually a lot of netbooks that have the specs you're looking for, especially in terms of battery life. Though I'm not sure if any of them run on Windows 64-bit. What is your budget anyway?

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Not sure how hard you looked or what e-tailer you are buying from but here are two possibilities...

Check out the HP Pavilion dv6-2180us NoteBook which seems to fit your specs.

For a lot less money, there is the Acer Ferrari One FO200 netbook but sans the DVD drive.

Aside from the pre-loads and bloatware, the HP seems like a nice machine...although Acer is nothing to sneeze at either.

My experience has been, especially with portable devices, that it is ultimately cheaper to buy a laptop or note/netbook than it is to build one.

However, if you insist on building your own portable, there are sites like www.directron.org, www.ocztechnology.com, and http://laptoplogic.com where you can purchase parts, barebones, and DIY kits.

Good luck!

Solution