Toshiba 4030CDT not powering up w/AC adapter

Symon777

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Howdy
My Toshiba 4030CDT laptop will not power up with the AC adapter cord, battery power works but battery won't recharge in computer. Adapter is putting out a clean 15vdc and it is getting past the jack to the board. Any advice or schematics available? No burned components or bad solder joints visable.

Crashman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How are you certain that the power is getting to the board? Toshiba is notorious for bad power connectors or broken solder on the power connector.

Symon777

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

I applied power (15vdc) and measured it on the board with a multi-meter, I inspected the solder joints and they looked good. I also checked for a short between the center conductor and ground prong, there was none.

The laptop is torn down and there are no obvious signs of solder joint failure. I have been certified to solder per IPC 610, Class 3 and performed micro miniature circuit board repair in the Navy for 2 years.

Thanks for responding...

Crashman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It's odd that the board gets power but won't charge the battery, I think you're going to have to trace the entire power circuit. Sorry I couldn't help more!