70s Audio + 'New' LCD TV outputs

G

Hey there,

After giving up on 'stereo in a box' solutions for my Sharpe LCD TV and blueray player, I decided to return to some of my older audio equipment.

I set up a Sansui AU-317 Amplifier, with a pair of Technics (Panasonic) SB T200 speakers.

Stranger however, I can't get them to work. When I plug everything in, the speakers nearly blow with immense volume even at the absolute lowest setting. I'm starting to suspect that the output is too strong for the Amp - but can't confirm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't be the only sod trying to marry his new Visual to his old Audio... can I?

G

I realize no one answered this thread yet, but I see a few people looked in, so I thought i would add the solution.

It turns out most newer TVs allow one to adjust the output 'power' or 'volume.' So, where this seems to be the case, one can go into the units options and choose between 'fixed' and 'variable' sound output selections. If one chooses the 'fixed' option (default) this sends max 'volume/signal' to the amplifier. If one chooses 'variable,' the TV's internal volume control allows control of the output signal.

From what I've read, most amplifiers should be fine with the default, but mine can break windows at mid level settings with an output signal of 15/60.

Anyways, thanks for reading and hope this helps someone else in the future.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
The thing missing in your post was that you were using the TV's RCA outputs as the source. Yes, the TV will send out a 1Vrms line level signal at "fixed" output, which is enough to drive most amplifiers to clipping.