Audio Wire Splitters? 4 speakers off 2 outputs?

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Hey guys

Found some pretty decent speakers they AIWA branded but that sound pretty good...

Question is: Can I hook them up to my current system - Sony MHC-RG270 - using splitters of some kind while still using my current speakers? Pretty sure you can do this with some kind of adapter, been looking at a few sites and havent found anything suitable yet, any help would be great

BTW my sound system has 2 outputs atm for left/right audio. At speaker end my sonys have the cable built into the speaker unit itself while the ones i found have the little spring mechanism sort on them like the system unit.

Thanks
P1n3apqlExpr3ss

Solution
G
Amusing idea that the amp has 125w x2 = 2800w RMS w/e. Does w/e mean this only happens at weekends ? Because I think I have neighbours with an amp like that.

The 6 ohms bit suggests that you will not get away with connecting two pairs of speakers at the same time (2x6 ohms in parallel = 3 ohms which is a bit on the low side as the amp is likely to be expecting 8 ohms).

I have to advise against this project. Try connecting one pair of speakers at a time only.

"At speaker end my sonys have the cable built into the speaker unit itself while the ones i found have the little spring mechanism sort on them like the system unit."

Yes, the clue is in the spring mechanism -- just add wires. Get ones that have some sort of coding...
G

"Found some pretty decent speakers they AIWA branded but that sound pretty good..."

There's a contradiction in terms in there somewhere.

If your amp has two pairs of stereo speaker outputs -- usually switchable -- see if the switch allows an option to run both pairs at once.

If you connect two pairs of speakers to terminals designed for one pair you may blow the amp because it is looking into half the intended impedance.

G

Amusing idea that the amp has 125w x2 = 2800w RMS w/e. Does w/e mean this only happens at weekends ? Because I think I have neighbours with an amp like that.

The 6 ohms bit suggests that you will not get away with connecting two pairs of speakers at the same time (2x6 ohms in parallel = 3 ohms which is a bit on the low side as the amp is likely to be expecting 8 ohms).

I have to advise against this project. Try connecting one pair of speakers at a time only.

"At speaker end my sonys have the cable built into the speaker unit itself while the ones i found have the little spring mechanism sort on them like the system unit."

Yes, the clue is in the spring mechanism -- just add wires. Get ones that have some sort of coding (either colour or a ridge on one conductor so that you can figure out polarity with ease). Get that wrong and it'll sound very odd indeed.

Solution

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Ohh ok thanks for the help, and as for w/e that means whatever sorry for random abbreviation

So what would the worst case scenario if i went ahead and tried this?

And i figured out that if i went ahead and did this, my splitter so to say would be those things you can use to extend the wire? the little plastic things with some screws and such?? couldnt find any pictures of what i mean but you should get what i mean

G

The worst scenario -- smell of burning output transistors, then silence and a trip to the store for a new amplifier.