Solved! Sudden Hard Shut-downs on Dell laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

manoynmonic

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Ok guys, at my wits end here.

My laptop will regularly die - as in turn off/power-off while in use. Here's what I've tried so far:

Thought it was heat - cpu and gpu seemed to be running a bit hot. I recently warrantied the Dell motherboard, and thought maybe that the guy who put it in didn't put the heat-sink crud on there. I pulled it apart, reapplied, made sure the fan vents were clear while I was in there. Things began running much cooler. But the problem persisted. Then I got that Dell utility that lets me manually control the fans, and cranked them up to full-speed all the time. Things were running very very cool, high 30's low 40's C. The problem persisted. I thought perhaps its a bad PSU (I know it's a lappy and it should be ok, but anything's possible), so I tried running on just battery power. Still getting random shut downs. I ran the Dell BIOS diagnostic, it says everything is fine. It started while running Vista, so I switched over to Linux, same problem.

I say it's random shut downs, but there are a few ways I can guarantee it will shut down: watch youtube clips, make a skype video call, or let the kids play video games on it. I want to say maybe the onboard video card is bad, but that is why the mainboard was just replaced (as in just a month or so ago).

System specs: Dell Latitude D830, 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gigs of ddr2 PC5400 RAM, Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M 512 MB.

Solution
It was the video card. I talked Dell into sending a guy out and (again) replacing the mobo. Problem solved. It was out of warranty, but those mobo's have a recall out on them, so Dell swaps them out for everyone. They kinda cheesed me and put a mobo in that had a smaller video card than the old one (the old had 512, the replacement is only 256mb), but everything works now.

bert539

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Experience the same problem with my D830. Dell blamed 3rd party software and you got to battle . Bought new Asus netbook and work much better than Dell .So bottom line don't support Dell

manoynmonic

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
It was the video card. I talked Dell into sending a guy out and (again) replacing the mobo. Problem solved. It was out of warranty, but those mobo's have a recall out on them, so Dell swaps them out for everyone. They kinda cheesed me and put a mobo in that had a smaller video card than the old one (the old had 512, the replacement is only 256mb), but everything works now.

Solution

ssybesma

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Help!

I have the same exact problem. Sudden traumatic shutdown, not a BSOD, not a reboot.

Happens when certain games are played that seem to put stress on the video card. First noticed when I had it on a docking station and thought that was the issue, but now it's happening without it being on a docking station.

My mobo is 6 months out of warranty as well.

How did you get yours replaced? What number did you call and how can I get more info on this recall (I looked on Dell's site but saw no reference).

Anything you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated and I would like to make it up to you in some way if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.