Connecting Your Subwoofer With Stereo Wire to an RCA Input

djc5754

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
I have a Kenwood SW-32ht powered sub from a home theater system that I want to connect to an old Pioneer SX-750 2-channel stereo receiver. The receiver has no sub line-out, only speakers connections. The sub only has 1 RCA line-in. How can I do this with the best sound results and no damage to either unit? Thanks

djc5754

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
I had several answers to my question from other sources and the best one, I thought, was to purchase a line-level converter ($20.00 + tax) to connect to the speaker lines out of the receiver and then wye out of the converter into the single port of the sub. That way the sub had an un-amplified level in and the volume of the sub would go up and down in unison with the volume control on the receiver. Although you do have to experiment a bit with the volume control on the sub to establish a level that suits you at a particular volume level to begin with. It works fine. :D

djc5754

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

Thanks. I'm not a Radioshack guy but I did go to my local electronics parts supplier and asked just what you suggested. I was going to use the spare tape-out (recording) jacks for my level in to the sub. However, by doing this you have to adjust the volume of the sub every time you change the volume of the receiver. I tried just using the wye as you said and the volume level of the sub will not change, it must be done independently of the receiver.

What they suggested, and it works, was to purchase a line-level converter ($20.00 + tax) to connect to the speaker lines out of the receiver and then wye out of the converter into the single port of the sub. That way the sub had an un-amplified level in and the volume of the sub would go up and down in unison with the volume control on the receiver. Although you do have to experiment a bit with the volume control on the sub to establish a level that suits you at a particular volume level to begin with.