Good in-ear headset for iPhone 4

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
I am looking to Replace my V-moda in-ear headset because they do not work with iPhone 4 (the mic is working but the single button to start stop songs is not). Does anyone have recommendation for sub $200 headphones (preferably sub $150)?

The things that I looking for - crystal clear sound especially at high frequencies, and clear, distinctive, deep but NOT loud bass. Most in-ear headphones, including v-moda that I have "loud bass" or "powerful bass" as a sell point, and I wonder if there are good headphones without over-amplified bass.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
Judging by reviews the apple headset is one of the worst possible there.
And while headphones are small, they seal the ear canal so that nearly all the power of the driver can be transferred to the ear. They do not have problem of bass being attenuated because air can go around the speakers as in most other headphones, this is why the in-ear headphones have huge bass. That's why I am asking this question, if there are in-ear sets that do not have this problem, and good in sound reproduction at trebles as well. I like in-ear headphones for their size, lightness, comfort of wearing, but I can not find high quality ones that sounded like good above ear headphones.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005

From product description: "Featuring dynamic transducers and an enhanced bass response ... "

This is where I am uncertain. I do not want to have loud bass, but rather distinctive bass. It is difficult for me to listen music for long time if the bass is too loud.

I consider, for example, that Bose Triport has right amount of bass in terms of loudness. Does anyone know if any in-ear phones can have similar performance?

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005

I like what I read about those in terms of sound quality and not overblown bass. However, the build quality for SuperFi is bad according to reviews.

I also see people mentioning Etymotic HF2 as having accurate reproduction of bass, not overblown. Does anyone have experience with those?

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Etymotic HF2 dont hit as deep as the IEs, the IE's have huge soundstage which is what ull probably notice, even without going through the burn in stage.

for the IEs the bass is not too loud, it just has a very linear frequency way down to 20hz. so it would make sense for them to say 'enhanced bass production'

you should give a listen if possible.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005

I may give it a try, the only problem is that it is not a headset - it dies not have mic and control button to answer calls.