I want to get a Netbook on steroids

maniac5999

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
So my 5 year old HP zv6000 is starting to have some display problems. I may have hurt something upping my 3200+ to 2.31ghz or my 200m to 380mhz. I guess it may be time to search for a new laptop, although I think I want something more portable this time (and I'd feel stupid to upgrade to something less powerful)

1_What is your budget?
I'm flexible, but I like value, lets say $1k, although cheaper is better

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
12" or smaller. I have a desktop for my place.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
I want a useable resolution. 1280x800 or 1360x1066 seems to bewhat web pages are currently designed for.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
with a 12" screen I'll let you guess ;-)

5_How much battery life do you need?
More is better, but it's not my #1 concern extra batteries are reasonably priced

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I want to be able to play older games like Civ4 (Max) and WoW (medium) on the laptop. I have my desktop forCrysis

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Mostly just web surfing and word processing, gaming is the only power intense thing I'd use it for

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Well, I currently hae 40gig on my Pavilion. lets say that 80-160gb would be fine. (I have 1TB of RAID1 on my desktop)

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
the usual, plus Bricks & Mortar

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Until it's no longer functional. If I can fix the display issues with this guy it's going to go to grandma.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
at this size I don't expect an optical drive.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
well, my HP has been reliable. I've had mixed experiences with other companies in the past, but I'm open to anything

13_What country do you live in?
New Jersey (many people claim that we're our own country ;-) )

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm an AMD Fanboi, but will go intel if necessary.