Slow performance after reinstalling XP

morfinel

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I got laptop form a friend for repair, on start up blue screen appear and when I have booted from CD the HDD was empty which is strange since she have lots of date and suddenly the screen went blue, after I have formatted partition C and install new windows everything was correct expect the pc performance and use of internet, I swap 512MB 5300 555mhz DDR2 ram with 1 GB 4200 444mhz which I have found in my junk box, but there is still problem with the performance, when you start internet in iexplorer or firefox and you type in search engine or in tab bar the text appear with few seconds delay as you type, and even that website is loaded when you scroll its slow. I did not format partition D. That’s this mean that laptop have not enough ram for windows XP or is it virus or I need better Memory ram, I have installed Java and flash. As well updated Graphic card and have latest version of windows explorer and firefox as well I have enter msconfig and disable all apps that are not from windows and are not crucial to run os. Any though ? As well I have contacted my friend and she said that this issue happpened as well before the crash of widnows.

Edit: Even when you type in windows calculator the character display is delayed

kiren

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
First thing I'd check is do you have all drivers loaded/updated. Second would be RAM, though you've tried a couple sticks without any change so that makes it less likely. After that would be either motherboard or CPU I'd think, but the CPU may or may not be replaceable, some are soldered on.

One thing to try would be to boot from a live CD/usb key and see if you have the same problems. I know Ubuntu linux has a live mode on the CD, there are ways to make an xp live cd, but I don't know much about that.

morfinel

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I done some research on the subject and it looks like Dell computers have this problem, after disabling some services in msconfig problem have been solved.

pccleanexpert

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

Slow problem is a common event for Windows user. It's not all related with registry, driver, viruses or spyware!

"No matter how fast or shiny computers might be when they're new, they all seem to get slower over time." Microsoft claimed that on their technical forum(Windows 7 forum).

In fact, Windows built-in a lot of services and startup item start with system. So if you want a faster computer, you need to disable some of them first.

I saw an article before. It descripe how to make your windows faster.
-------> How to Speed Up Computer

If you still don't know how to disable services safety, Click here to fix Windows SLow by professional tools.

Any problems? Welcome to discuss with me! Enjoy it !

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Keron Chew ---- A Computer Technician
virtual_piano.gif
Funny Virtual Piano Software

pccleanexpert

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

pccleanexpert, Thank you for your post!

Some days ago, I don't know why my pc boots and runs slow as a tortoise. And i try your recommend tools. It get back on the track now! Thank you!

In fact, I knew my PC problem is the services take too many system resource. But I am afraid of disabling services in error cause more problem. So I just disable the startup items and it runs faster but not like now.

I keep trying to search a tool to help me to manage the service so that I can get a more faster PC. And you offer it to me.

Thank your again.

:)