Lenovo T61 dying young? 0192 error

eqmassa1

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
About 6 times in the past 2 months, and twice in the past 10 days, I have turned on my Lenovo T61 laptop (from either standby or power-off, has happened in both) to see a black screen with this message: “Error 0192: System Security, Embedded Security hardware tamper detected.” I have not added any hardware to this laptop or otherwise tampered with it – except for a new battery.

I’ve scoured the internet for help, but this question has been asked and left unanswered on most forums (unless the person added new hardware and caused the error themselves). Others advise that you should get a motherboard replacement immediately: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=74530&start=0. My concern is that this has only happened a few times… could it be a fluke? Is there any way I can tell? I don’t want to part with my laptop for several weeks, since I can't really work without it, but I definitely don’t want to end up with a blown mobo either. It’s under warranty until 10/2010.

Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

G

Are any of the access panels (such as for accessing memory modules) loose.

Otherwise, you have plenty of time to run on the warranty and if it fails they'll probably just swap the machine for a reconditioned one (possibly a newer model) so I'd wait and see.

Meanwhile, take steps to back up your work.

eqmassa1

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
“Are any of the access panels (such as for accessing memory modules) loose?”

I’ve never taken a laptop apart (lot of experience with desktops though). Which panels are you referring to, and how can I get to them? Thanks so much for the advice!

G

Well, it was a long shot -- but the error message suggests tampering and some computers (notably old Compaq desktops) have sensor switches on the case which could generate a warning.

Most laptops have removable panels for accessing the hard drive, wireless or memory modules. If these have not been unfastened then that's not likely to be the source.