Fixing a Dynex 40" LCD (DX-L40-10A)

blunderbuss

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hi All,

I bought a dynex 40" tv 1 year and 1.5 months ago, and just like clockwork as the warranty ran out and I had scoffed at the extended warranty, the TV is breaking.

Symptoms:
The red "power" indicator turns on normally but when I try to switch the TV on I hear a click, the red power indicator turns blue as usual but the screen remains dark and no sound is present. The TV is unresponsive to attempts to turn off the power and turn on again. After unplugging the TV (I hear a click then too) and replugging again the red indicator comes on. When pressing the power it then, clicks, then turns to blue only this time it will work.

The symptoms have been worsening however. For a while I needed to only do this now and again. Now it's every time. While a complete pain, I could live with it, only yesterday a new problem happened. While the TV was on and working, the picture went black and the TV started screeching. I turned it off and on per my routine above and everything was fine again. This AM it did the same thing.

From what I've read the issue is likely the power supply or the inverter. I've also read dynex is notoriously bad for power supplies so I'm guessing that's the issue.
there's a great video on repairing a samsung with similar symptoms which apparently has leaky capacitors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm51C_RDIZE

What's been done:
so i opened up my dynex, and the issue is, unlike in the video above, my capacitors don't really appear to be bulging or leaking.

So now i'm wondering how much i should try to invest in trying to fix this problem since it doesn't seem to be due to an (somewhat) easily fixed problem.
Could the capacitors still be an issue even though they don't appear to be bulging or leaking? would it still be worthwhile trying to replace them hoping they'll work. Anyone have a good alternative idea to try that won't break the bank.

What i don't want to end up happening is spending a bunch of money trying to fix it, only to fail and spend additional money on a new TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

Just wondering if you ever come up with anything on this? Like yours, my died exactly 1 yr and 4 months after purchase, of course they want to charge me $190 just for the part, a house call service fee and then the labor to repair. add that up and you can buy this piece of crap all over again! It will cost me roughly 350-400 to repair a tv I purchased for 500. Lesson to be learned-never buy from best buy again nor will I ever use their dynex products. If I would have purchased the warranty I would have never had to use it,guaranteed. I swear the scanner they use to ring up the products gives the product it's life expectancy based on whether you purchase a warranty or not, lol. Best buy needs to be boycotted!

twash

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I agree. I bought my in April of 2010, started having issues in May of 2011 and now in August, I am lucky if the T.V. works at all. Just talked to customer services, who then sent me geek squad who wanted to charge me $150.00 just to look at it. Are you kidding me? I will never buy from them. They are the wort when it comes to customer services and trying to get something fixed or returned.

TNRandy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same exact issue with my Dynex 40" TV. The picture is great once it comes on but getting it to turn on (and off) is a problem. After several cycles of unplugging then powering up I get sound and a picture and the TV works well.

Bair42

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014
This will be very late for you but not for others seeking an answer. The issues you are experiencing is a problem on your power board, usually an issue with one of the capacitors. Most capacitors will show they are damaged by a bulging end or leaking from its ends. That said sometimes they go bad and show no visible signs so what you can do is test them with a multimeter or just outright replace them all. They are cheap parts usually 1.00$ or less per unit. You will need to know how to solder, or you can take the easy route and buy a replacement board, but most of those are from used Tv's and how long they will last is questionable. Good luck to all on your repairs.