Canon G15 - Photographing Text

CRB

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Hello,

I am a complete camera novice, and just purchased a Canon G15 to use for taking images of 17th & 18th century manuscripts in the archival research I am doing.

I am trying out the camera right now taking images of pages in books that I want to digitize. I am finding that certain areas around the furthest edge of the left hand side are blurry but the rest is very clear. Although the book I am experimenting with is a bit oversized, many of the documents that I will be looking at in the archives will be large, oversized pages from ledger books, so sorting this out would be helpful.

Out of all the presets, the clearest results come from using the High Dynamic Range setting. However, you do have a lag time of about 10 seconds per image waiting for the image to process.

I am wondering if there are any manual settings that I should try out that would allow the entire image to be in focus, or if I should just plan on shooting with the High Dynamic Range setting.

Thanks!
CRB

CRB

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Just a follow up - I figured it out! I quickly read about the 'circle of confusion', increased the aperture, had the camera automatically choose shutter speed from the aperture settings, added high contrast, and the pages are now coming out perfectly!