Solved! Using component cables for hdtv

Youk02

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hello,
I have a DIRECTV HD reciever which i would like to run two LCD TV's off of. The two TV's are only 720p, as they are in the bedroom and master bath (didn't want to spend a lot for TV's in those areas, we have 1080p on two other TV's elsewhere in the house). My question is, can i just use the component outputs on the reciever for one TV and the HDMI output for the other, so that i don't have to get a splitter? Will i see any difference in picture quality using component if it's only a 720p TV to begin with? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Solution
I have not tried that with a direct tv box but on cable boxes if you plug in the HDMI cable it shuts off the component video output. You would also need to run component and audio cables to the 2nd TV or use baluns with CAT5 cable. HDMI will generally give you a better picture as you are avoiding the conversion of a digital signal into analog and then back into digital in the TV itself. It can get tricky splitting HDMI and using a long cable to the 2nd tv.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
the beautiful thing about the HDMI cables is that they only do one thing, and that is to send audio and video.
that means each cable can be designed for the task at hand without asking or needing more from the cable.

rca cords on the other hand can sometimes be asked to do more than one thing.
1. they can send composite video
2. they can send component video
3. they can send digital audio
4. they can send analog audio

sometimes a color coded plug will help determine if the rca cord is going to be the perfect choice.
otherwise the rca cord has to be made to do many different things for whatever the person might use the cable for.

but
using the HDMI output and the three rca video outputs at the same time might be damaging to the satellite receiver.
(maybe it doesnt hurt anything at all)
it should be a brand name and model number specific question/answer.

maybe you break the satellite receiver and have to get a new one?
maybe you rent the receiver and they try to charge you for breaking it?
maybe if you ask directv they will actually encourage you to use both, worry free.
i just dont know.
maybe the receiver lets you pick one or the other and if HDMI output is used.. maybe the satellite receiver 'senses' the HDMI output and turns the three rca video outputs off?

a difference in video quality would be because of these reasons:
1. the cable you use is better
2. the satellite receiver has higher quality output from one or the other
3. the television has higher quality because of the input you are using

if your television has both inputs available.. try both connections and see if there is any improvement.
and if the other television only has the three rca inputs.. you really dont have a choice for that television.

I have not tried that with a direct tv box but on cable boxes if you plug in the HDMI cable it shuts off the component video output. You would also need to run component and audio cables to the 2nd TV or use baluns with CAT5 cable. HDMI will generally give you a better picture as you are avoiding the conversion of a digital signal into analog and then back into digital in the TV itself. It can get tricky splitting HDMI and using a long cable to the 2nd tv.

Solution

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
here is what i know..

if the transport method itself is trimming quality.. then the most expensive digital to analog convertor isnt going bring the quality back without the help of some type of 'up-scaling' to re-grow whatever was trimmed short.
but
this leads to some things being brought back to original, and other things being exaggerated.
(lack of teamwork proves to add the exaggeration above, as well as any trimmed quality missed/ignored)

the HDMI output is digital, and that should mean there is no digital to analog conversion done by the cable box.
and that means the quality would be totally dependant of the television itself.
when you use an analog connection, does the television have to convert the signal to digital before it can be processed by the video processor to be sent to the screen?
that is one question, and since most televisions like to do some 'enhancements' .. the answer is usually yes.

could a cable box digital to analog convertor be worse than the convertor in the television?
it is not impossible.

people use HDMI and have been happy with it.. but consumers dont really know if HDMI is trimming some of the quality down.
there might be a rare few that have done the comparison themselves and noticed a difference.
but it might have been the cable
might have been the television's HDMI input being junk (and not the display itself)
maybe it was the device that was outputting the HDMI
none of them are impossible.

and what about all of the hard work that was done to get the three rca cord connection working and running perfect?
does all that design go to waste now?
if the YPbPr connection is really that bad.. then get rid of it completely, dont offer it on televisions or receivers anymore ever.
but i know i will certainly miss the rca connections, i dont know about any of you.. but i think the rca connection is really cute and would be sad to see it go.
it dates back to the 1980's when i was a child looking at the vcr.
all of the extension features for the vcr (or the television for that matter) connected with an rca cord.

so if YPbPr connection is not perfect.. but it is better than HDMI, are you going to keep it until HDMI is just as good as YPbPr connections?
or
do you scrap the YPbPr connections to save money on one less input/output 'port' that costs additional money to build the electronics hardware?
(and if you dump the YPbPr connection.. will those savings bring us higher quality pieces inside that really matter? )

i havent compared the two since the release of HDMI .. so dont get me started on whether the YPbPr connection is really better or not.
i dont want to participate in the conversation if you do decide to say something about it.

but anyways..
i think it is a whole lot easier to split a YPbPr connection than it is to split an HDMI connection.
since HDMI is digital.. you have to allow each television to make the 'data handshake'
and if one television is slower with the handshake than the other.. it might mean one television is showing video faster than the other.. but that would require a buffer inside the HDMI splitter.
and
if one television decodes the HDMI signal faster than the other, one of the televisions will be early (and the other one will be late)
not a really really big deal if both televisions are in seperate rooms.
but if the audio is coming from the same amplifier, then you cant adjust the audio to video synchronization for one and expect it to work with the other one.

the YPbPr connection would resolve all of those issues.
sure, maybe the extra connection weakens the signal and you need to boost those signals to keep the video clarity and colors.. but that seems to be less than messing around with data packets.
if electrical design isnt your highest strong point, maybe it takes more time to design the little amp to boost the signals.. but once you are done, it should all be well worth it.
but, that is for the designers of the hardware splitter.
for the person buying the splitter.. consider what i said about what it takes to make them work.