My sd card for my nikon camera wont format

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,
i recieved the nikon coolpix s3300 for christmas with a sandisk ultra sdhc card 4gb. when trying to load into my camera it says to format the card. i clock on format and accept then it says card can not be formatted.

I tried to format the card through the computer however i have to do this through the camera as i dont know any other way. when doing this the card is not showing up on my computer as the camera is saying this card cannot be used. can anyone help me?

phil22

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
You are correct in that a memory card should always where possible be formatted in the device it's intended to be used with.

Although it's new, it's not impossible for the card to be faulty so try another one.
If another one works okay, you should contact Sandisk for a replacement of the faulty one as their memory cards have a warranty.

If no cards work in the camera, then it's possibly the camera that's faulty, although that is very rare with a new digital camera, especially a respected brand such as Nikon.

extremonerdo

Estimable
Mar 29, 2014

I just fixed my Nikon s3300 by doing this:

First put the SD card into the computer, let it load, and then open a explorer window showing the card.
Then, right click on the item representing the card, choose "Format"
Second, format it as NTFS, even though it should be FAT32
After it's done formatting, pop it into the camera, it will format it automatically, and it should be fixed.

Hope this works! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.