Core i5 vs Core i7 new laptops

varduefr

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hi all,
I've found that the new HP dv6t series performing Core i5-520M cost the same price as the one performing Core i7-720Q.
The graphic card and the others specs are exactly the same.
Thinking I don't need the laptop for gaming or rendering, which one should I get?

The Core i5's are all dual core chips. Some of the i7's are quad core chips and a couple of the newer ones are dual cores, so it really depends on which specific processors you are looking at. That being said, the i5s are all 32nm parts and have a lower TDP, meaning they will generate less heat and use less power for better battery life.

varduefr

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Yes, I was aware of that, and battery life is not a problem. The only thing that I'm worried of is the noise and the heating.
I'll be happy if I have to stand a bit more of noise or heating if the differences in GENERAL PERFORMANCE (I'll be using the laptop for everything, not gaming) between both processors are considerable.
Of course, you always want the fastest, cooler and silent laptop but I've never use an i7 laptop and I've read some threads about noise and heating for this processor.
I'm also between HP or Asus and maybe Asus is managing better these problems and I'll have a faster laptop with an i7 that won't annoy me a lot with these problems.
What do u think?

HP dv6 -> Core i7-720QM or Core i5-520M, 4 Gb, NVIDIA GeForce G 230M 1Gb = 900 €
Asus N61 -> Core i7-720QM , 4 Gb, NVIDIA GeForce GT240M 1Gb = 1000 €
Asus K52 -> Core i5-520M, 4 Gb, ATI HD 5470 1Gb = 800 €

Thanks!

frozenlead

Distinguished
Cooling and noise levels for notebooks is a crapshoot. You don't know how the manufacturer designed them before you take them apart and see for yourself. No specific brand really has quiet or cool notebooks...some of them are, some of them aren't, for any given brand.

If you're just going to be doing internet and office applications, the i5 will be more than enough.

pepinganos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I've bought, 10 days ago, an ASUS N61J with a i7-720Q and an ATI HD 5730. It's VERY silent under "normal" operation. The fan is audible only under heavy charge.
The temperatures go from 55ºC in iddle to almost 80ºC with the processor under maximum charge, but the surface of the laptop remains at acceptable temperatures.
The power consomption goes from 40 W in iddle to 90 W in intensive 3D games.

Napoleon: Total War works at an average of 70ºC and 70 W, in a room at 22ºC.

Nevertheless, the air exiting the laptop throug the ventilation slot in the left side is always VERY hot.

edmer

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

What about for watching Netflix movies?