Laptop HDMI out to amplifier

terrancewonga

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
there are a few questions i would like to ask about laptop HDMI to an audio amplifier, i would be appreciated if anyone could help,
my situation is, i would like to setup a 5.1 audio system in my room, with my computer as the source of out put.
at first, i heard connect the HDMI outport from my laptop to an amplifier would do the job, but then after i did some researches, some people has suggested that HDMI out from a laptop is limited to 2.1, i wondered if this is the case, this is the first question.
the second question. my computer only has one HDMI out put, and i would like connect my computer to a HDTV and an audio amplifier, how could i solve this problem? some people say i should connect my computer's HDMI out to the amplifier, then connect my HDTV to the amplifier, so that the video signal from my computer can transfer to the HDTV via the amplifier, is this the case? Can a audio amplifier transfer video signal to the HDTV?
it would be great if anyone could help, i am sorry for not explaining my situation properly, but my audio knowledge is limited, this is the best i can describe my situation in words.
many thanks.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

well actually it's an HDMI repeater, not amplifier. and there is software, depending on the model, that allows 5.1 with the adapter. Just depends on what motherboard you have, what hardware is on it for audio. Download the manual for that make and model from the manufacturer's website.

onighjoy

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Terrencawong, did you get to the bottom of your problem? i have the exact same issue although I'm planning to buy a laptop to act as a media center and want to make sure it can send out 5.1/7.1 signal to an av amp (at the same time send video signal too).
cheers

onighjoy

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks. But does it matter what chipset I have if all I want to do is pass on the AV signal to the AV receiver for processing. I'm not expecting the laptop to process the 5.1 or 7.1 sound but just pass it on in its raw form. If the chipset has an HDMI output but no capability to process 5.1/7.1, can it still just pass on the full AV signal?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I know how frustrating it can be to find something that actually works for your need. Same reasons why other manufacturers offer more features than other with the same chipset, while some are more clear about their offerings; others are not.

To onighboy, I don't think it matters what chipset you have, as long as it support the features you want and it's fully implemented.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I don't think any of the laptop chipsets will bitstream Dolby TrueHD/DTS-Master. I "believe" the mobile 8200/9200 series will do 8 channel linear pcm. If there is a mobile AT 4000 series it should also do 8ch mpcm.