VGA computer to LCD TV w/out VGA input

oraclemaster

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Hello,
Bought LCD TV that has no VGA input. Is there a way to use it as a computer monitor? Ihas inputs for HDMI, RCA components 3 USB ports and 1 optical digital audi out

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
i have looked at those cables and seen lots of people giving negative reviews because the cable 'didnt do what it was supposed to do'
the physical function of going from component to vga CONNECTORS is there.
however, the actual signal processing needs a digital processor too.

the reason why the lcd television doesnt have a vga connector is because there is nothing to 'listen to' the synchronization signals.
vga connectors work well with crt monitors because the monitor's horizontal and refresh rate can be controlled through the connection (up to a limit programmed into the crt monitor).

whether or not the 'red, blue, green' in the vga connector has luma and chroma data is unknown to me.
to say it has one or the other, but not both.. well then it wont work without a dedicated translator.

most graphics cards come with an adaptor to allow you to connect the RCA component version of the video signal.
i would suggest you try looking at that first before you go out and buy a VGA to component convertor.
because who knows what kind of clarity is being robbed when using such a convertor.
if you are gonna be messing around with high definition, you might as well save yourself the stress by not getting some 'adaptor' with a processor inside of it.
because that processor might ignore some of the quality.. or it might make reds too bright (or some other color too bright).

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Install a new video card into the computer that has DVI output. Some will also have HDMI.

thakursn

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
Well, @anwaypasible has given above a very good theoretical explanation to this issue, indeed, but he failed to provide a reasonable solution to the problem/question.

All you need to get a "VGA to RCA Converter" so that the VGA signal coming out from your PC converted to Composite AV signal with necessary correction/synchronisation in it so that the signal coming from the PC become useful for the LCD TV.

Thanks.