Logitech Z-2300 Sub w/ 2 Behringer Truth B3031A Monitors Possible?

snk

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
A couple of days ago I purchased 2 Behringer Truth B3031A Active Studio Monitor's, and well initially i was going to replace my whole Logitech Z-2300 setup that i previously had with the the new Behringer speakers, but then i got to thinking..

What if I hooked the new Behringer speakers up to the sub-woofer that came with the Z-2300's? This way i would have a sub to go along with some pretty darn powerful speakers.

I have the wire connections all mapped out, so i know that's achievable, but would i damage either the sub, speakers or both by making a connection between both devices? (sub and speakers)

The volume and bass adjustment dial that the Logitech set up offered was unbelievably useful. I HATED the fact that i was giving it up; but the quality in the new Behringer speakers had proven to convince me enough to say my farewells to the good ol' logitechs.

I'm not too familiar with sound specs concerning this specific situation, so I hope to leave this up to you knowledgeable individuals out there who are... Also, i'm aware that bahringer makes a studio subwoofer that can go along with both speakers that ive purchased via XLR connection, however i've already spent a good amount of money on these speakers and the bass that they produce alone should be reasonably satisfying without having to dig back into my wallet...

Behringer Truth B3031A: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B3031A.aspx
Logitech Z-2300: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speake...rs/devices/231

Z-2300 Specs: (taken from various sources, apologize for repeating info)

Configuration 2.1
Total Power 200 watts RMS
Satellite RMS Power /ea 40 watts RMS
Subwoofer RMS Power 120 watts RMS
Frequency Response 35Hz - 20kHz
Signal to Noise Ratio(SNR) >100dB @ 1KHz
Remote Wired

Nominal Output Power (Total) 200 Watt
Max (RMS) Output Power (Total) 400 Watt
Response Bandwidth 35 - 20000 Hz
Signal-To-Noise Ratio 100 dB
THX certified Yes
Audio Amplifier Integrated
Connectivity Technology Wired
Controls Volume , Subwoofer volume control
Detachable Grilles Yes

Hardware
Total FTC power: 200 watts RMS
Sub-woofer: 120 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 100Hz, @ 10% THD)
Satellites:
Left/Right: 40 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1khz, @ 10% THD)

Behringer Truth B3031A Specs

XLR connector: balanced input
1/4 inch TRS: balanced input
Input impedance: 10 kohms
Input Trim: –6 dB to +6 dB
Max. input level: +22 dBu
High-frequency driver: 2 inch ribbon
Low-frequency driver: 8 3/4 inch diameter Kevlar diaphragm
Amplifier Output Power: Low-frequency range
RMS @ 0.1 % THD (sine wave): 100 W @ 4 ohms
Peak power: 160 W @ 4 ohms
Amplifier Output Power: High-frequency range
RMS @ 0.1 % THD (sine wave): 40 W @ 4 ohms
Peak power: 80 W @ 4 ohms
Crossover Type: Active
Crossover frequency: 3.6 kHz
Frequency response: 50 Hz to 24 kHz
Sound pressure level: max. 116 dB SPL @ 1 m (pair)
Low Frequency: 0 dB @ 60 Hz
–2 dB @ 60 Hz
–4 dB @ 60 Hz
–6 dB @ 60 Hz
Room Compensation: 0 dB @ 300 Hz
–2 dB @ 300 Hz
–4 dB @ 300 Hz
–6 dB @ 300 Hz
High Frequency: +2 dB @ 8 kHz
0 dB @ 8 kHz
–2 dB @ 8 kHz
–4 dB @ 8 kHz
Voltage/Fuses:
100 - 120 V~, 50/60 Hz: T 5.0 A H 250 V
220 - 230 V~, 50/60 Hz: T 2.5 A H 250 V
Power consumption: max. 200 W
Mains connection: Standard IEC connector
Dimensions (HxWxD): 15.8 x 9.8 x 11.4 inches (400 x 250 x 290 mm)
Weight: 33 lbs (15 kg)

Spec listing can be seen here: http://www.behringer.com/EN/download...I_EN_ES_FR.pdf

Be aware that the Behringer speakers come in single purchases...

It shouldn't really matter, but here is my sound card in case you're wondering... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132014

One last thing, i believe that the Z-2300 Ohm rating is 8 while the Behringer speakers are 4, this can be seen from the specs above.. Also each behringer speaker is 4 ohm which = 8ohm, so i may have just answered my own question there but, i need all of the information that i can get..

Thank you for those who comment..

snk

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

Is this a question or a statement?

snk

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
If it's a statement, i know that i'll be able to turn it into a 2.1 system. I have all of the correct wires and adapters... My question is will i be increasing my sound production/quality, decreasing, or am i possibly slowly destroying something.. ?

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Decreasing. Those Logitech subwoofers are not very accurate. Given the 150 Hz crossover point (which is fairly aggressive, probably 18db/octave rolloff), the monitors will be very thin sounding.

How do you plan on turning this into a 2.1 system? Are you going to remove the amp from the Behringers and power them directly from the Logitech sub? The 3031A has a digital EQ + digital crossover between the tweeter and woofer. You would also have buy a passive crossover network to mate the tweeter and woofer together. In addition, the drivers would no longer be EQed, so even if you found the perfect crossover frequency, both drivers may have peaky responses at various frequencies.

Sure it's doable...don't know if its worth the effort, and it will most likely sound pretty bad. But if you are competent with audio theory and know how to measure FR, IMD, and spectral decay plots, it might be doable, if you plan on EQing the system through the computer.

G

that would be a total waste of 2 perfectly decent Behringer truth...

Behringers truth = quality dj/studio monitors
Logitech whatever = computer crap...hell even m-audio's are more accurate than that

also, those behringers will probably give you more and deeper bass than that stupid "sub" could

cheers

G

Actually, there is a really easy way to pair the sub with any alternate pair of decent satellites/monitors. Simply get yourself a decent USB Audio Device that has multiple outputs. I have Rokit 5s running out of the back of my Cakewalk UA-25EX on TRS cables, and then I run the sub from the stereo out headphone jack on the front. I then uncouple the Logitech satelittes from the back of the Z2300 sub. The sub then provides the bass punch that the Rokits don't have, though the Rokits have amazing mid and high range clarity.

The crossover is not great, it should be lower. The KRK10S purpose-built sub (also €300) has a crossover at 80hz, compared to the Logitech 150hz. That means the vocals get muddied just a touch. But if you can put up with it, then you get the bass thump of a reasonably good woofer.