Solved! Is there any dissimilarity between LCD Panel and TV Panel?

vikas_nissan

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hi, all member of Th!

I read somewhere that LCDs are slim because manufacturer has been using the LCD panel in it.

I am confused whether; these two panels are similar or have any difference in between...!

Well, my guess is they might be same, but would love to hear your views....!

Solution
tube televisions/monitors can also have a "flat" front to them but i don't think this is what you are refering to (as technically there isn't a panel on them just glass and a filter) so i won't provide any information on them as it most likely doesnt apply.

when it comes to flat panel televisions there are two types: plasma and lcd.

plasma displays were big a few years ago but they are starting to be phased out. they can offer better contrast than lcd televisions but had trouble when it came to long-term reliability.

lcd monitors can be further broken down into two different catagories. ones which are backlit by ccfl and ones that are backlit by leds. both of these subtypes use an lcd screen, the only difference is the style of...
do you mean are there differences between the displays on a "lcd television" and "lcd computer monitor" ?

the best answer i can offer up is "maybe".

-computer lcd monitors are typically available in a variety of resolutions. quite a few of these surpass typical lcd television resolutions.

-computer lcd monitors also usually have smaller pixels which make them look sharper than televisions.

-lcd televisions are typically available in much larger sizes than lcd computer monitors. monitors usually top out at around 30". however, the televisions maintain the same 1920x1080 (if a 1080p tv) resolution no matter what physical size the display is. this means the larger you go the less sharp everything looks.

-some lcd televisions have 4 pixel colors instead of 3. i think it is samsung who is experimenting with a tv on the market right now.

-if you are comparing led (and not ccfl) backlighting then some televisions are not edge-lit and instead have the leds arranged in a grid behind the lcd screen. this can give you better contrast. i know of at least one model that has this feature.

----

as far as a subjective review... i've always found lcd monitors to display text much better than lcd televisions even accounting for the size increase in pixels. some people say there is a difference in the arrangement of the pixels but to date i have not found any source to prove or disprove this rumor.

if you're looking for a suggestion on what to buy then fill out a monitor advice request sheet which you can find by looking at a few other "what monitor should i buy" posts. or just list all the details here like budget, size, resolution, what you want to use it for, connection requirements, etcetera.

vikas_nissan

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Thanks a lot...! But I actually don't want to know the difference between the displays on a "lcd television" and "lcd computer monitor".

These days I am searching for LED TVs....So one of my friend told me,
you should consider a TV which has LCD panel in it...!

So now, what I want to know....Is there any difference between LCD Panel or TV panel,
Or they both are same?

Like manufacturer has been using the 'TN Panel', 'VA Panel' and know 'IPS Panel' in their tv screens,
so is their any other panel exist which's known as LCD panel?

If yes...I would love to know about that...!

tube televisions/monitors can also have a "flat" front to them but i don't think this is what you are refering to (as technically there isn't a panel on them just glass and a filter) so i won't provide any information on them as it most likely doesnt apply.

when it comes to flat panel televisions there are two types: plasma and lcd.

plasma displays were big a few years ago but they are starting to be phased out. they can offer better contrast than lcd televisions but had trouble when it came to long-term reliability.

lcd monitors can be further broken down into two different catagories. ones which are backlit by ccfl and ones that are backlit by leds. both of these subtypes use an lcd screen, the only difference is the style of backlight they use.

tn, va, ips are all types of liquid crystal display (lcd) technology. that said, there could be small variations between different brands of televisions. i know that at least one brand is experimenting by adding a 4th color to their pixel arrangements, and i'm sure others have their own little experiments as well.

short answer: the general technology is the same but there might be subtle variations between different brands. led and ccfl are backlighting and are not tied to panel type.

Solution

vikas_nissan

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Well that's very true, tube tv & monitor have a flat front but they doesn't have any panel technology.

know i am sure lcd panel & tv panel both are same technology...its just the matter of,
how manufacturer defined them to promote their product...!

In former days TV maker were using VA, TN & IPS Panel in LCDs only,
but these days manufacturer are using these panel in their LCD TV, LED TV and know in 3D TV also..!

That means lcd & tv panel is same, but have a technology difference in VA, TN and IPS.

@ssddx...Thanks!

gaurishank

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011

These days manufacturers are using the panel tech in LCDs or in LED TV only, not in 3D TVs...!

Paul Smith

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

3D TV too have a panel technology, as panel is used to provide a wide viewing angle,

So it's been used in all latest TVs...!

gaurishank

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011

I think 3D itself having a latest tech....So there's no use of using panel in 3D TV.

tegasunil

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
TV panel technology is not a new concept....Its just the difference of tech between various panels.

Manufacturers have a chain of tv panel...TN, MVA, PVA, and know IPS currently being used.

Panel were their in CRTs as well, but know those panel are outdated.

After CRTs, TV trends comes up with LCDs, LEDs and the most latest 3D TVs.

So same goes on, manufacturers do uses the panel in their LCD TVs, LED TVs and in 3D TVs also.
As it's the part of TV technology.

gaurishank

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011

Somewhere I am satisfied with you , but 3D itself have a latest tech which makes us feel as live.

Then what sort of panel required in 3d tv & what for?