Solved! Can I use 720P HDTV as PC Monitor? Help??

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I have my eye on a couple of 720P 32" LCD HDTV's and need to know if these can be used as a complete replacement for my LCD Wide screen monitor?

My main focus is 720P versus 1080P, I'm told 1080P or nothing but 1080P is much more expensive I have found, so am I going to really notice 1080P over 720P screen or is it just a no brainier?

It would be about 2.5 feet in front of me perhaps 1.5 feet up on the wall if that helps any.

Here is the HDTV's I have in mind to Replace my monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889263059
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889262061
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889115038
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889112046
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889112032

Is their a rule of thumb, website, that you should meet certain minimums when choosing a TV that you intend to used as a replacement for your PC Monitor?

Thanks..

2052x1152 Native&Max Resolution, 23" Widescreen Samsung is my current PC Monitor if that helps.

Solution
just go to your local audio visual store and have a look at the display models. keep in mind that they are cranked up in vibrancy and brightness most of the time which you can adjust.

personally i always stick with sony. at least they actually back their products with repair parts unlike most of the market. they also make a very nice product.

the only television lately that "wowed" me was this one with only a 1/8" bezel around it surrounded by a 1/2" clear bezel. the visual effect was to make it look like it had virtually no bezel when you sat back from it. pretty neat! i think it was a samsung but i'm not sure.

never buy a tv just from reviews or what other people say. always view such things in person so you know exactly what you...
You generally can, but some video card have issues when connected using HDMI. Sometimes the desktop will be too big to fit the screen (overscan) so you see most, but not the entire desktop. Or a little too small to the screen (underscan) so you have black borders around the screen.

I had the underscan issue with my LG HDTV. It is connected to a nVidia 9600GT in my HTPC. The nVidia drivers did not give me any options to fix the issue. Fortunately my LG HDTV had an Aspect Ratio option of "Just Scan" which fixed the issue. Not all TV will have this option. I was just lucky enough to buy LG.

Radeon cards have an option in Catalyst Control Center to adjust over/under scan issues.

so you want to go from a resolution of 2052x1152 down to 1280x720?

thats a very noticible drop in overall resolution.
next factor in that you are increasing the overall physical size from 23 to 32.

this means that the picture will be less clear than your current monitor due to the lower resolution and greater size. it also means that because of the set resolution text, windows, icons will be huge.

since you will be sitting very close to the tv you will most definitely notice this.

-----------

1080p resolution televisions might be a bit more money but they do make a better replacement for a monitor than a 720p resolution television. 1920x1080 is their native resolution.

personally i have a 40" bravia 1080p that i sit about 4-5 feet from. quality is definitely not what my 20" viewsonic 1600x1200 was. however, it works out perfect for me because my main use of the pc nowdays is as a media center (dvd, blueray, games).

unless you are 100% convinced on a 720, spend a few extra bucks and go 1080p.

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

Thank you for a cold direct and useful reply. I'll wait for the 1080 instead of being in a hurry and by the inferior 720p offerings.

Do you or anyone else have a good 1080P 32" or 37" HDTV TV that is hot these dayz

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

Even as I wait for answers to my original question I might offer to you that you WILL notice the difference between a 32" and 37" screen. Unless you're broke I'd dive in and look for 37" models.

my 11 cents [inflation]

just go to your local audio visual store and have a look at the display models. keep in mind that they are cranked up in vibrancy and brightness most of the time which you can adjust.

personally i always stick with sony. at least they actually back their products with repair parts unlike most of the market. they also make a very nice product.

the only television lately that "wowed" me was this one with only a 1/8" bezel around it surrounded by a 1/2" clear bezel. the visual effect was to make it look like it had virtually no bezel when you sat back from it. pretty neat! i think it was a samsung but i'm not sure.

never buy a tv just from reviews or what other people say. always view such things in person so you know exactly what you are buying. if you don't then you're chalking it up to luck if you're going to be happy with the product or not.

Solution