Clevo X8100

NST

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Well, I heard of Asus G73JH and I was wondering if Clevo is going to release something similar.So, today I visited their website and instead of their Clevo M980NU there was the Clevo X8100, a new 18.4 model in the same case as the M980NU but with mobile i7 processors (instead of Core 2 Extreme) and GeForce GTX 285M (instead of GTX 280M).Check it out: http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/products/prodinfo_2.asp?productid=177

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Yes that’s one fast of a laptop; I wonder how it will complete against ATI 5870 crossfire. The price will be ridiculously high in any case :??: .

EDIT:

It Supports SLI, I wonder if Sager will sell the SLI version. But no DirectX 11 support, still 10.

NST

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

Nah, it is cheap (relatively to other high end gaming laptops), if you make it yourself.

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html --- Not true, it's still not going to be able to beat the 5870 as a solo card. It will close the gap some, but the 5870 still will be 5-10% faster. That's according to notebookcheck, and added to that the 5870 is a 40nm card.. The 285 is going to be a 55nm card.

Lastly, the 5870 will be cheaper since it's ATI; and it has DX11... I honestly don't know why anyone would pick the 285 over the 5870 unless you're a die hard Nvidia fan. :ange:

Notice though that they don't have an numbers for those benchmarks, so it is still all speculation at this point. I'm reserving my judgement until I actually see some numbers for both.

NST

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Guys, I would like to point your attention elsewhere.Both the Asus G73JH and the Clevo X8100 have an overclocking feature (I am not talking about the Intel Turbo Boost feature).It will be interesting because we haven't seen an overclocked mobile i7 processor yet.I personally believe that i7 is unstable in gaming and between a normal i7 920xm and an overclocked qx9300 I would pick the qx9300 for gaming, and therefore I am curious to see what those 2 notebooks will deliver processor-wise.Also, I see the number of laptops with 4 ram modules (the aforementioned Asus, Hp Envy 15) increasing and their price falling.

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Sorry, didn't read that word. Lol. :whistle: I really hope that the 285m isn't even close to is, or I'll be saying way to go ATI just like lost was.

Aikimox

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
One reason to prefer Nvidia over ATI is if you are running linux, where Nvidia has far better drivers than ATI. I personally would pick 5870 10 out of 10, but since I run Ubuntu Linux on my Alienware M17X, I'm limited to Nvidia.

G

@ Maziar.

He stated it wrong..

Nvidia has far better Driver Support, And dont come up with can u prove it... Yes i can prove it.

When Ati came out with the 4870 mobility it immediatly was degraded by all previews and reviews because the lack of driver support. Even on Ati's own website. U had to get the drivers from the manufacturer (from which u bought the laptop) and u got VERY VERY OLD AND OUTDATED drivers.
Which was the biggest problem with the mobility 4870. AND !! moreover. with the asus W90VP u had the so called CROSSFIRE setup. DIDNT WORK CAUSE LACK OF DRIVER SUPPORT!!!

I have to give Nvidia 1 to that !! They do have very good support for everything. And better optimizations.
Although ATI comes up with better pricings and faster up with cards, they loose it in support.

Mobility Radeon 4870 was original a true 4870 desktop, but it's bad support didnt help it much in the notebook industrie.
With its low clock speeds it still wasnt able to defeat a rebranded g92 core* (GTX280M).

Ow, and for those who think 5870mobile is gonna defeat the GTX280M, maybe they do with good support. But also dont forget THIS IS ATI'S first rebranding of the 4870 core !!! which means, it has DX11 support but still has: here it comes

800 Streamprocessors, 40 texture unints, 16 Rops. WITH ONLY a 128Bit memory bus which gives a max of 64GB/s!!
Dont overrate that 5870 mobile yet until numbers and benches come out !!

I am staying with Nvidia though, THe GTX285M is gonna be surprising since this one has the same core, but with finally very high clock speeds, which i was unable to get with overclocking the GTX280M.

Can u imagine? GTX285 stock speeds = GTX280M at very high overclocked speeds. Finally a stable card at that high speeds :p.
In SLI with INtel i7 Mobile which OUtperforms the old QX9300 by every possible test... thats awesome !!

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009

Which of the latest titles runs on Ubuntu Linux?

In the past ATI's Linux driver support was awful, none of their cards were supported. I don't think that's really the case anymore though since ATI has Linux drivers on their download page. I can't attest to how good they are though since I don't run Linux.

Aikimox

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I don't need to prove anything since right now I'm running Dragon Age in Ubuntu 9.10 with GTX 280M, STOCK (185) drivers.
None of my friends with ATI 4870 cards were able to get them fully supported under any Linux distro.
At some point the situation may change but not yet...

Aikimox

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Haven't tried many games yet, but so far : Dragon Age, Kings Bounty Armoured Princess, Crysis work with some tweaking.
I recommend installing PlayONlinux+Steam.