Aiwa cassette deck repair

am5

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Hello,
I have 2 Aiwa cassette decks, see below.

XK-007 EXCELIA
Fault: Cassette has started to play very slowly. this unit has has good use and has not been used in the past 5 years.

AD-WX999 TWIN CASSETTE
Fault: Play does not engage. this deck has been in a box in my waredrobe for around 15 years, so its not had much use. I tried to play cassettes but it sometimes tries but mostly fails to engage the heads. Same for both decks A & B.
Ajay

First their not worth fixing, and obsolete.
second you can take it all apart, clean and re-lube all the moving parts, replace all the drive belts, then they will probably work. But is it worth all the effort to find all the belts, and R&R all the moving parts? It's a major project to do all that work for an obsolete pair of machines. You really need to love cassettes to do all that.

am5

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

I hear what you're saying, but I really have a massive collection of good quality recording from the past. Most of the cassettes I used were the TDK MAX-G range. So if you know where I could get my hands on a set of replacement belt sets, I would much appreciate it.

They don't come in sets, you have to measure and order each one individually.
www.studiosoundelectronics.com
www.fixitclub.com
kenselectronics.com
waldom electronics
Check around, there are many belt sources, besides the original manufacturer.
Local electronics stores frequently stock many replacement belts, sometimes we use rubber O rings when we cant find a replacement belt.