Solved! Need help with PC audio to HDTV

phalcon51

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
I'm trying to set it up so that I can play videos from my PC on my Samsung HDTV. Here are the particulars: I've got a Dell Studio SPX 435T desktop with a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium sound card and an NVidia GeForce GTX 260 video card, and a Samsung LN46C670M1F 46" LCD HDTV. I'm using a DVI to HDMI adapter at the video card and running the HDMI cable into the HDMI3 plug on the back of the Samsung. I've cloned my desktop to the TV and I'm getting a great picture and the videos play perfectly, so no problems there.

I'm running a shielded stereo audio cable with 3.5mm plugs on each end and tried plugging it into the 3.5mm jack on the back of the TV labeled "PC/DVI audio in" and I get nothing. I've tried plugging it into the green "front left/front right" jack on the SB X-Fi card, which was driving my desktop speakers with no problem, as well as the 3 other jacks for "Side L/R", "Front Center/Subwoofer" and "Rear L/R" with no output at the TV from any of them. I next tried using a "Y" cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack on one end and two RCA plugs on the other for the TV side. There are a couple of spots on the back of the TV to plug into, one labeled "Audio 1 & 2" with 2 ea. red and white RCA jacks and one labeled "AV In 2" on the side with one each red, white and yellow RCA jacks. In the Control Panel I'm setting the "Creative SB X-Fi" speakers as the default, but I'm still not getting any audio at the TV.

Am I missing something here? Do I need to configure something else? I checked all the options in the TV's menu and couldn't find anything that seemed to apply other than naming the device on HDMI3 as the DVI PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Probably the easiest option would be to change the connection to the HDTV from DVI --> HDMI to DVI --> VGA and use the 3.5 mm stereo cable from your sound card to the PC/DVI audio in port.

What I think is the best option depends on which Geforce GTX 260 you have (what manufacturer). Some of the GTX 260s come with an S/PDIF input port (usually next to the external power connection ports). If you look at the images of this Gigabyte GTX 260 on Newegg, you can see the two pin connector. This port connects to the S/PDIF output of either your motherboard or sound card and allows audio to be transferred over the DVI--> HDMI set up you already have connected.

-Wolf sends

phalcon51

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Is there any work-around to get the audio signal into the HDMI cable, or any other way I can connect the computer to the HDTV? Here's the connections I have to work with:

Back Panel
IMG_0003.jpg

Side Panel
IMG_0002-1.jpg

Thanks

Probably the easiest option would be to change the connection to the HDTV from DVI --> HDMI to DVI --> VGA and use the 3.5 mm stereo cable from your sound card to the PC/DVI audio in port.

What I think is the best option depends on which Geforce GTX 260 you have (what manufacturer). Some of the GTX 260s come with an S/PDIF input port (usually next to the external power connection ports). If you look at the images of this Gigabyte GTX 260 on Newegg, you can see the two pin connector. This port connects to the S/PDIF output of either your motherboard or sound card and allows audio to be transferred over the DVI--> HDMI set up you already have connected.

-Wolf sends

Solution
i have a dvi to hdmi conversion cable and sound is transferred over my hdmi to my receiver. what wolfsends mentions about this is worth looking into.

if this wont work for you you could try hooking up the pc to hdmi 1 which looks to have (dvi) under it. perhaps this is the one that links to the pc-audio in port.

give it a go and let us know if it works.