Is this a good sound card + speaker combo?

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Hi guys. I'm looking at an audio upgrade for not too much money. I'd like to be able to buy stuff locally just to make it easier and quicker. So, I'm currently looking at the AuzenTech X-Fi Forte 7.1 card with Logitech X-540 5.1 Speakers. I'm wondering if this is a pretty good combo. Currently I'm using mobo sound (ASUS P7P55D PRO HD audio) and simple Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers that are now several years old and I've noticed they're starting to have that slight background buzz.

I don't want to spend more than $250 on this. If the sound card is overkill for those speakers I'd certainly not mind getting a cheaper one

My main use for the sound system is gaming then music then movies (I generally watch DVD and BluRay on my PS3)

Solution
Ah great! In the end it's all about your own experience! Those speakers will last for ever and honestly, they will start to sound better and better as time goes on! Not sure if you can turn on X-Fi Crystalizer but if you can, pump that sucker up to 100% but make sure you turn off all 'simulated' surround effects (i.e. CMSS-3D) those will just mess up the sound quality and mess up the channel output! You have real surround speakers, why simulate them in software? Enjoy them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Looking good! Listen, the issue with asking is people will try to push on your what they "think" is better, so always take recommendations with a grain of salt. If you're down to the two cards though, I would say go with the Soundblaster since the X-Fi technology is theirs so why go to a reference system when you can get the real deal? As for the speakers, they are great - I used to own it and also recommended it to a friend who couldn't be happier with them! just make sure you understand that you have to set it up correctly or it will sound odd. I can explain if you need details. CIAO!

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Thanks for the input. I ended up with the logitech x540s and AuzenTech Bravura instead of the Forte. Basically those speakers aren't high end enough to truely notice a difference between the Bravura and Forte. The reason I didn't get the Titanium is basically just because it was from a different store that I don't like and also they were closed... lol.

Anyway, I'm very happy with it so far. Haven't been able to truely test it out, but man from the little I've heard (some songs, a dvd, and about 10 mins of Crysis) it is amazing. Huge upgrade.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Ah great! In the end it's all about your own experience! Those speakers will last for ever and honestly, they will start to sound better and better as time goes on! Not sure if you can turn on X-Fi Crystalizer but if you can, pump that sucker up to 100% but make sure you turn off all 'simulated' surround effects (i.e. CMSS-3D) those will just mess up the sound quality and mess up the channel output! You have real surround speakers, why simulate them in software? Enjoy them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solution

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Ah man all the options are confusing haha. I'm pretty sure I have that CMSS3D something on but I really have no idea what it is! The stupid things don't really come with a manual so I guess I'm off to browse some forums and try to figure out settings.

BTW, any thoughts on this: replacing the passive L/R channel speakers with my older 2.1 powered speakers. The output is the analog red and white plugs but the sound card came with a converter so I can use that to plug in the mini plug that the 2.1 speakers use... I might just try it for shits and giggles tonight...