Solved! Looking for a decent media player to stream MKV via DLNA

kamran5461

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I wanted the capability of streaming MKV files off my pc on to my hdtv in the living room so i bought the Sony smp-n100 but soon realised it only plays mkv thru USB device and not over DLNA. So I promptly returned it.

Is there such a device that will play mkv via DLNA over wifi or wired network ? Something under the $200 range.

Solution
Hi Kamra5461.

Here are some notes with my experience streaming MKV:

1. If you want to stream MKV via DLNA - you may need transcoding software installed on your PC that is storing the MKV files. A very common one that many people use is PS3 Media Server.

2. For streaming MKV - the best way to stream this codec file is either withe SAMBA (network shares) or NFS. By using these network protocols you can stream MKV along with any 7.1 channel HD Audio (DTS-MA & Dolby TrueHD) that can be bitstreamed from the media player to your AVR via HDMI cable.

3. For streaming High Bitrae MKV (files larger than 15GB) - use at least a 10/100 ethernet connection for streaming... wireless-N may not work properly depending on your hardware and...

sgvtech

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Hi Kamra5461.

Here are some notes with my experience streaming MKV:

1. If you want to stream MKV via DLNA - you may need transcoding software installed on your PC that is storing the MKV files. A very common one that many people use is PS3 Media Server.

2. For streaming MKV - the best way to stream this codec file is either withe SAMBA (network shares) or NFS. By using these network protocols you can stream MKV along with any 7.1 channel HD Audio (DTS-MA & Dolby TrueHD) that can be bitstreamed from the media player to your AVR via HDMI cable.

3. For streaming High Bitrae MKV (files larger than 15GB) - use at least a 10/100 ethernet connection for streaming... wireless-N may not work properly depending on your hardware and configuration.

There are a lot of media players out there in the market that can do what you need - but they all have their plus and minuses and there is no perfect media player for everyone.

I own a Nixeus Fusion HD media player (NX-1000) that can do what you are looking for and it can be found for under $200 on NewEgg and on AMAZON.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask...

Solution