Korea: Virtual Currency Just As Good As Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
earned the virtual funds through skill and hard work
What they forgot to mention at the court is the fact that most of these farmers don't earn money through actively playing the game but by setting up bots (L2Walker) which do that automatically (I don't consider this a hard work).

G

Man I wish I was living in Korea now. Play games, have fun, and live poor but able to survive. Wife will kill me though

redkachina

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
[citation][nom]martel80[/nom]What they forgot to mention at the court is the fact that most of these farmers don't earn money through actively playing the game but by setting up bots (L2Walker) which do that automatically (I don't consider this a hard work).[/citation]

IIRC, I watched one of the TV shows few years back, and they actually have these farms up and running all day long (farming + training)and they are getting paid doing so~obviously not by using bots. correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of current MMO's have anti bots features to prevent usage of bots.. We're talking about South Koreans here LoL..where do you think they got all those skills playing game.. not by using bots of course!

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Seriously... that's pretty retarded and also awesome at the same time. I say, if people are retarded enough to pay for stuff like that, let them. It's about the only thing that would get me interested in wasting my time on an MMO. Except now, MMOs will be flooded with gold farming bots, and hacking and cheating will become more prevalent, and the world will probably economically collapse since it's putting value in worthless, no-existent funds. Look how well that went for Wall Street.

But I feel I seriously need to get in on the action. I'd gladly pay 10% tax running bots and farming gold, although I wouldn't know the first thing about doing it. I could see getting together with groups of other people and pooling money together and sharing the profits. But the only company of any value would probably be Blizzard and games like WoW and probably Diablo. And I'm sure they'd still crack down and ban for this sort of thing, and probably figure out a system to prevent it.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
That's ridiculous.

People don't get paid for hard work. They get paid for doing something useful. Actual farming makes food. In game farming makes....nothing. If someone else in the game is moronic enough to pay them actual money for a transfer of virtual funds, that's fine, but nobody should be obligated to accept virtual funds that were obtained through useless labor as equal to real money.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Are we talking Lineage or Lineage II? In any case, it's Adena... and extortionate for those prices. £11,000 for 234m Adena? That can't be right, especially considering 234m isn't impressive if we're talking Lineage II (I never played the first).

tstebbens

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Unlike gambling, players of MMO's--and other games using in-world currency--earned the virtual funds through skill and hard work.

Excuse me? So playing cash poker for a living isn't skillful and hard work??

G

I bet they can just live without eat and drink. maybe plug them self in an electric outlet all day long play that video game?

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
That is really sad.

I thought games were made to take people mind off the real life, to entertain people.
I do not like to think about money after I have paid for a game and installed it. Maybe I think about expansion pack/dlc or at worst about a monthly subscription.
But I hate gold farmer, in game spam for gold or in game ads related to real life money.
I do not want virtual world polluted with real world money or gold farmer.
I would prefer a single player game with clever NPC rather than an MMO polluted with people "playing" or I should say working for real life money.

And for people paying for these services, where is the fun if you are just paying for items/gold instead of playing the game to find/win them. If grinding is not for you, just chose another game (or at worst generous in game friends).

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Kuroro Lucifer[/nom]Man I wish I was living in Korea now. Play games, have fun, and live poor but able to survive. Wife will kill me though[/citation]

Live poor?

Update.

nirvanabah

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Silverblue[/nom]Are we talking Lineage or Lineage II? In any case, it's Adena... and extortionate for those prices. £11,000 for 234m Adena? That can't be right, especially considering 234m isn't impressive if we're talking Lineage II (I never played the first).[/citation]

If its Lineage 1 that's not a lot of Adena either...dunno who the hell paid that but i'd gladly renew my old account and sell all 600m and some change I had for even half of that!

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
What about my Stanley nickles?

I could just imagine doing income taxes there?
Did you own your own business? No.
Did you slay any Ogres? Oh hell yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.