Most sturdy, well built laptop for around $600 or less?

klemmaniac

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I am needing to get a laptop to replace my old HP which is starting to fall apart externally and need advice on a a few models I'm looking at. My primary concern is durability and reliability since I travel alot with my laptop and *may* drop it or bang it on occasion-not looking for a toughbook (out of my budget), but something that can take normal/minor wear and tear on the road-looking for something to last me at least 2-3 years. I don't game on my laptop, and just use it for basic music/entertainment/business, and internet purposes. My budget is $600-not much more than that.

Windows 7 is a must 32 or 64bit. must have more than 80GB HDD, and I need a DVD burner/writer. Processor comparable to Intel dual core T4300 preferred. Everything else is not as important to me. My Primary concern is build quality, casing and parts for long term business/entertainment related use while travelling.

Here is my first choice:

Asus P50IJ-X1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220663&Tpk=Asus%20P50IJ-X1

-Has anyone owned this laptop for more than a year and does it hold together? I read in some reviews that the hinges for the screen are cheaply built and may start to split or crack under strenuous use. Asus laptops appear to be similar in build design based on other models I've looked at - In sum, is this a cheaply, or decently built laptop? Is there another asus laptop in a similar price range that is built better?

second choice:

Samsung R522-FA02US
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Laptop+with+Intel&%23174%3B+Core&%23153%3B2+Duo+Processor/9375026.p?skuId=9375026&id=1218094343915

Also looking at this, since from pictures (?) it looks like it's built out of more solid material (?)

Gateway NV5425u
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101196&Tpk=Gateway%20NV5425u

and Finally, looking at a Toshiba L515-S4960 which is the cheapest at under $500 and looks like it will suit my needs, but have read one too many bad posts about Toshiba Satellites for my peace of mind. It looks well built and sturdy from pictures, but I've read more good things about Asus and that Gateway so far.

Any help would be appreciated to relieve a bit of the headache I'm having searching for the right laptop.

klemmaniac

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I figured since I already knew which models I wanted and was just asking for opinions between them I'd fore go the FAQ form. I did wind up purchasing the ASUS K50IJ-X8 from amazon, which with a 100 dollar rebate and free shipping is a real steal in my view and the specs suit my needs. I just hope the build quality is sturdy and the parts for the dvd tray and screen hinges etc. aren't made from cheap material and will last from extensive use while travelling for a while. If anyone can comment on the build quality of this line of Asus laptops for my peace of mind I'd like that. Otherwise thanks anyways.