Solved! How do I use HDTV as a Computer monitor

jcooksy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I have and AOC Envision Series hdtv (32' I think) and I have been trying to connect it to my hP Pavillion Slimline desktop (with nVidia GeForce 9300 GE video card). I have had success hooking them together by VGA to VGA and an audio cable, I have recently bought a converter kit that allows me to 'convert' my DVI slot on my computer to an HDMI slot and I tried to connect my PC and HDTV with an HDMI cable and all I got was a black screen and a 'note' telling me there was 'No Signal'. Did I do something wrong? I still have the computers display settings set to the 800 x 600 res I had to switch it to in order to connect the PC and TV together with the VGA cable. Do I just need to change my resolution settings on my computer/video card or is there something else I need to do?

Also, my video card is up to date, I updated it just the other night.

Solution
what is the native resolution of that television? 1080p is 1920x1080. you should set your display settings to match for the best quality video, however, no matter what the resolution selected you should get something besides a blank screen. since you are changing from the VGA input to a HDMI input remember to change the tv source (to hdmi1?).

if you scanned the sources already then perhaps there is a problem with the conversion kit. the one i have is just a cable with a dvi on one end and a hdmi on the other without any fancy boxes or modules to worry about.
what is the native resolution of that television? 1080p is 1920x1080. you should set your display settings to match for the best quality video, however, no matter what the resolution selected you should get something besides a blank screen. since you are changing from the VGA input to a HDMI input remember to change the tv source (to hdmi1?).

if you scanned the sources already then perhaps there is a problem with the conversion kit. the one i have is just a cable with a dvi on one end and a hdmi on the other without any fancy boxes or modules to worry about.

Solution